I would like to use Openwrt on VMware like a LAB before make any changes in my routers

So... I setup the same image of openwrt to run in VirtualBox and worked! ( I saw the Eth0 and Eth1, Wan and Lan ) In fast look the only thing that I missed was option Switch... Please lleachii try to run this machine in the VMware Workstation and let me know the result.

If you boot another image with Linux, how many network interfaces do you see?

The switch config GUI only works with an integrated hardware switch, which may not be available with the VM emulation. Try driver-level VLANs instead.

2 Likes

I don't understand why I would be running this; what am I'm looking for?

I agree with @mpa. You won't have a switch page, as you're adding virtual PHY NIC cards- not a switch. If you want to bind NICs, you have to add them to a VLAN/bridge.

1 Like

About the Switch both of you are correct. I will learn more about it.

1 Like

The only way to I have 2 Nics was setup it on VirtualBox. When I setup it in VMware Workstation 15.5.1 build-15018445 (Windows Host ) it not works... If you have a opportunite to test this I will be grate to know the result.

Not like I would like(I would like to setup this on VMware), but you guys helped to I solved my problem. Now I have one OpenWrt with Lan and Wan running ( on VirtualBox)

Hi ulmwind. I saw only one (Eth0) this issue happen(for me) only in Vmware. In Virtualbox everything works well...

Even in another guest OS?

Using VMware-player-15.5.1-15018445 for Windows:

nic3

I then booted:

Again, eth0 and eth1 appear.

Also, there's no need to make multiple posts back-to-back, we can all see.

When I use VMware Worstation 15.5.1 and combined-ext4.img.gz (https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/18.06.5/targets/x86/64/) only show one NIC

When I use VirtualBox and combined-ext4.img.gz (https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/18.06.5/targets/x86/64/) show 2 NICs

What config(in Vmware) for this machine did you choose for setup?

1-Hadware Compability :
2-Version of Linux :

Maybe could be this...

???

I used Other Linux 4.x 64-bit on both VMWare and VirtualBox.

1 Like

Thansk a lot lleachii!

When I put Other Linux 4.x 64-bit worked in VMware!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.