I need help with a budget router to fix bufferbloat

Hello everyone, first of all I apologize for my bad English, it is not my native language. A few weeks ago I discovered that my network has bufferbloat, in the tests with waveform they are between A and B. For this reason I have decided to buy a router to solve this problem, the problem is the budget. I would like to solve the problem completely spending as little as possible. I have been looking and found Mikrotik routers that can use the Cake algorithm which seems to be the best. What do you recommend? What is the cheapest option? I have a 600mb fiber network. Thank you

2 Likes

600 MBit/s, sqm/cake and budget contradict each other, sqm at that WAN speed needs serious CPU power, more than Mikrotik's hardware can provide. You're looking at x86_64 (baytrail-d or newer), RPi4 or maybe qoriq.

3 Likes

This:

1 Like

Thanks like I said I'm starting to learn something about bufferbloat now. The truth is that I have not understood much of your answer. What router do you recommend?

From what I see, these routers are out of my budget, any recommendations below $50, or any router that uses an algorithm of the same quality as cake but is cheaper. Thanks

Dollars, are you US based ?

1 Like

Your problem is that the required traffic shaping for 600 Mbps will take a lot of CPU cycles so most cheap all-in-one routers in your price range are not powerful enough, and most powerful enough routers are outside of your price range. That said nobody forces you to actually use all your link's capacity...
Case in point some years ago I switched from a 50/10 internet access rate to 100/40 and my old netgear wndr3700v2 router was not able to traffic shape at the required ~140 Mbps aggregate throughput. A quick test (with my use-cases on my link) convinced me that setting my shaper close to the maximum that router allowed (49/25 or so) resulted in a better internet experience than disabling the shaper and use the full 100/40. But that clearly is subjective and just because that was better for me means that it will be better for others, let alone everybody...

Other than that if you are fine with a wired only router (so you still need an additional AP for WiFi) you might be able to get a powerful enough x86_64 based device on the second hand market, but even there 50$ and 600 Mbps are are tricky requirement.

2 Likes

Maybe this thread will help you:

1 Like

Im actually in euros, im from Spain

Thanks you a lot, i will try to search and continue getting info about the subject

NanoPi R4s can do SQM on gigabit. At least, that's based on reviews and test videos on YouTube.

2 Likes

I offered some contrarian advice at So you have 500Mbps-1Gbps fiber and need a router READ THIS FIRST - #40 by richb-hanover-priv

TL;DR to save money, most people can choose a lower speed (and cheaper!) ISP plan and use a cheaper router and save money up front and every month thereafter. Good luck!

4 Likes

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X with OpenWRT.

A bit of information about it https://www.servethehome.com/ubiquiti-er-x-review-getting-into-the-edgerouter-x/

1 Like

Edgerouter X will do SQM till about 180mbit/s. TS says he has 600mbit/s Internet connection, so this one will not be sufficient.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.