I have lost access to the router. Again

In what sense? The one by default. 192.168.1.1

I tested and asked a question.

One more time from the beginning. I downloaded the warp.conf configuration file that I use on PC and smartphone. And I wanted to set it up on the router. I have a Chromecast device on one TV and a smart TV in the kitchen. I would like to watch YouTube on both. But after recent events, it has been blocked for me for an unknown reason. On chromecast and on smart TV, neither VPN nor proxy can be installed. I did not find a working option. That's why I decided to put WireGuard on the router. But with one difference, I wanted WireGuard to work only for blocked resources.

Therefore, I opened the configuration file warp.conf, and replaced the lines in it

AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0
AllowedIPs = ::/0

IP addresses of YouTube that I found on the network. I set up WireGuard on the router according to the instructions on the network. But YouTube still wouldn't open. All other sites worked, YouTube did not. Then I decided to check if WireGuard works at all, or did I configure it incorrectly? To do this, I needed to remove the white list from its settings, so that it would work for all addresses and not for those that I specified. To do this, I opened the router settings in the browser, the WireGuard interface, the (peers) tab, the warp.conf file and deleted all the fields with IP addresses that were there. The AllowedIPs field has become empty. I applied the settings and the router itself went into a reboot after which it never came out.

Then I manually restarted it and after that it turned on, I did not notice any changes in the WireGuard interface, because I only changed it before restarting.

Further, they wrote here that I did something wrong on that router and turned it off. What did I do? Removed IP addresses from the AllowedIPs list. If the router turned off, did I delete them incorrectly?

To check "it's right" I loaded the original warp.conf file, before that renaming it to warp_old.conf so that there would be no conflict. I downloaded it, opened the tab (peers), found a new file, and looked at how the fields with AllowedIPs were registered in it. They registered in the same way, just an empty field without any values. The result is exactly the same as mine. So what did I do wrong?

Now, if it were not necessary to delete all fields, but instead it was necessary to leave one field with a value of 0.0.0.0/0, then yes. Then I removed AllowedIPs incorrectly. But I did everything right

And I don't know what that means. I have all my settings here.

Well, what is the address?

???

Perhaps someone else should explain.

:+1:

Я предполагаю, что ваша картина была на русском языке. Трудно понять, спрашиваете ли вы или объясняете, почему вы сломали свой маршрутизатор.

Это заставляет меня думать, что вы не понимаете основы работы с сетями, потому что вы продолжаете спрашивать, почему.

I assume you're picture was in Russian. It is difficult to understand if you are inquiring or explain why you broke your router.

It makes me think you don't understand basic networking, because you then continue to ask why.

I suggest using a default OpenWrt, and do not attempt to setup Wireguard.

And what does it mean?

Here's what the default whitelist settings looked like in the file.

And here's how I set it up.

I don't see the difference.

In the configuration file, the absence of a white list looks like this

AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0
AllowedIPs = ::/0

But after loading into the browser, it, the white list, is displayed as I showed. Just an empty field. An empty field with no values.

default doesn't work either. And WireGuard doesn't like torrents and other similar programs.

Why are you calling that a white list?

What instructions have you been referencing?

Can you clearly explain the reason you setup Wireguard?

And how to call it?

A blacklist is when everything works except what I wrote in the blacklist.
The white list is the opposite, it is when only what is on this list works.

Always called it that.

Instructions? I referred to this post.

Or are you asking about WireGuard setup instructions? Then here.

Or in your case here

I'm tired of repeating it.

I call it the IPs you allowed/don't allow for this:

???

???

You haven't told us- that post just says you want to setup Wireguard. Then you break it?

Yea, maybe there's a language barrier.

@Broseidon - the OP setup Wireguard and has removed the allowed IPs. They don't understand why the Internet, etc. breaks.

They think it's some kind of whitelist - can you explain/assist them, please.

:bulb: Removing 0.0.0.0/0 means you turn off the Internet.

???

What does "Removing 0.0.0.0/0" mean?
"0.0.0.0/0" was not there. I wrote it, step by step, how I set up the router. Did you read?

Do you see "0.0.0.0/0" somewhere here???

That doesn't look like a Wiregurd config in English,so I don't know.

All I know is:

• Removing 0.0.0.0/0 will break Internet
  • I can't determine if you saying it disappeared, or what?

Well, then I don't know what you want from me.

1 Like

Так же. надеюсь на лучшее. Надеюсь, другие ответят лучше. Счастливых праздников.

Likewise. I hope the best. Hopefully others can better respond. Happy Holidays.

:star:

It seems it was not about the Internet, but about the fact that I could not access the router. If I could connect to the router without getting up from my chair, then even without the Internet, through the local network, I could roll back the changes.

Who disappeared? You never deigned to read exactly how I set up the router? Because you can help me if you don't want to listen to me. Or maybe you did not want to help from the very beginning?

I think these people are called trolls...

This is the part that confuses me. Having an error in your WG config will not cause the LAN to break.

Are you sure you didn't change anything else?

1 Like

Should I repeat it again?

There's no reason why changing a Wireguard setting would break access to the router OS at 192.168.1.1 except that after applying any network changes, the router's Ethernet ports and wifi will drop carrier for a time and then start back up. If your PC is connected directly to router Ethernet or wifi, you may need to click the network menu on the PC and tell it to reconnect. If you have the PC configured to automatically connect to other networks, during the drop it may connect and stay there instead of to your router.

3 Likes

Maybe we should start with a very specific question:

Why do you want to use VPN? What is the intent of this connection? Are you trying to send all of your traffic through a VPN (for example: for privacy from your ISP or geo-location reasons)? Or are you trying to send only certain traffic through the tunnel? Or are you trying to setup a VPN 'server' to allow remote access to your network while you are out of your home?

2 Likes

Some time is how much? When everything is in order, then in about a minute, a maximum of two, the router restarts, and the page of the router 192.168.1.1 itself is updated. I don't need to do anything. And in this case, I waited about 10 minutes, and even the browser was "tired of waiting" and wrote that the restart was taking longer than usual. I had to go to the router in another room and restart it again. Only then did I get access to it...

@psherman

I see where this is going.

It seems I have already answered this question more than once. How are you going to help me if you don't read what I write?

As for the top level problem I would approach this not by destination IP, but by having two networks: one that always goes by VPN and one that never does. Connect endpoint devices to the one that meets the situation.

3 Likes