I Can´t save any OpenWrt configurations in TL-WR2543ND

Hi!

I'm sorry, I'm novicie in OpenWrt and I had install 19.07 version in my TL-WR2543ND router.
I can configure to use the router normally, but as much as I apply and save the changes, if I turn off the router. It returns to the OpenWrt factory settings.
I can't save install and update packages.

Can help me?

8M... downgrade to 18.06.latest ...

You can build a custom image, without LuCi, without IPv6 etc. Quite a few possibilities to shrink the image to 7.5MB or similar. Then you can save the settings.

The tl-wr2543nd is a 8/64 device, which is still sufficient for a default OpenWrt release image including luci and the remaining default package set, it even allows modest extensibility at this point. There is no reason not to run the latest OpenWrt (19.07.x, 20.x.y, master) for the next few years to come. While its 400 MHz AR7242 CPU won't ever be a race car, it doesn't prevent current OpenWrt to work.

2 Likes

Thanks,

The problem is memory then. Can I do downgraded by LuCi?

Grateful,

Reasons for the observed behaviour are usually related to problems with the overlay to get mounted. On 4 MB flash devices the most likely reason would be that there simply is no space left for it, but your device has 8'192'000 byte at its disposal, which -while not plenty- is enough for contemporary and future OpenWrt version (at least for the next few years). So unless you've either built your own firmware and included too many optional packages for it to fit or overfilled your overlay at runtime (opkg installed <too_much>, storing unrelated files, etc.), there must be another reason for your problem. logread can provide some insight, as mount should log why it couldn't properly mount the underlying jffs2 filesystem or the overlay on top of your rootfs.

One approach would be to flash OpenWrt again, using sysupgrade -n /tmp/openwrt-*-generic-tplink_tl-wr2543-v1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin (which intentionally drops the existing configuration) to reformat the underlying jffs2 filesystem.

Thanks for the sugestion.

I will find out how to customize the firmware, although I think it is a very advanced thing for me.

Grateful,

Thank you slh

I tested it without installing packages and I was still not saving the settings.

Can I only run sysupgrade -n /tmp/openwrt-*-generic-tplink_tl-wr2543-v1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin by SSH?

I'd recommend using ssh, but you can also do it in luci - just make sure to disable "keep settings".

In case, you only have few changes in the configuration, you can edit /etc/rc.local and insert suitable cmds like

uci set system.@system[0].hostname='My_openwrt'
uci commit

Then, on every boot, default settings are modified.

There is no (general) reason why the overlay wouldn't work - 8 MB flash is still sufficient, with almost 3 MB to spare, this is not a 4/32 device. So any failure to mount the overlay must have a fixable reason, this is not a case for ugly workarounds.

Post the output of the following commands

df -h
mount

and post the bootlog.

1 Like