I am not against 5 GHz but I wanna use 2.4 GHz as I was using before

I live in UK. I have 5G disabled. Based on the current gov law I can only use 100mW tx power (20dbm) with 2.4Gh wifi. (https://w.wol.ph/2015/08/28/maximum-wifi-transmission-power-country/) Which is very strange because the allowed 5Gh tx power is 4000 mW. I cannot understand why those limitations take place only for 2.4Gh? Is it related to 5G covid hoax? And is there any router which exceeds those limits? Long time ago (about 3y) I was using some old router which was working fine and I was able to talk via skype from my garden. Later on my wifi provider installed a new router and took the old one away. Later I was calling them but they said they cannot give me the old router. Now I cannot talk via skype from my garden. I tried to buy some other router (Asus) but situation remains the same. I tried to install openWrt and increase the power but still no luck. I was thinking maybe it was my smartphone. But my tests show that changing country to US and increasing power from 20dbm to 30dbm does not show any difference in wifi analizer app (standing next to router), or call quality from my garden. So I assume the router has tx power locked to 20 dBm base on the current country law. I am not about to broke the law. I am thinking if there any routers which allow me to increase the power to 30dbm temporary and see if this is actually the law issue? I feel like someone is forcing me to use 5G.

1. Which router (new or old) can guarantee me 30dbm (changing my country to US)?
2. If the situation is the same with smartphones, which smartphones can also use stronger tx power based on your experience guys?

Very thanks for your help.

Why not try 5ghz? Or alternatively place an access point closer to the garden?

My two cents:

• Don't confuse the 5GHz band used in wifi with the 5G technology used in mobile telephony.
  • Transmitting using a power outside the current regulations in your country is illegal, and discussing about that is not allowed around here.
  • Why did you disable the 5GHz band?
5 Likes

You are breaking the law if you're increasing TX power beyond regulatory limits. Don't think because some software allows you to that makes it OK.

As for 2,4 GHz, it's a band with a lot of interference, which could very well be one of the reasons why your country limits transmission power.

2 Likes

High router transmit power is not useful if your client device can't transmit back to the router at a high power. Your wifi router and clients (e.g., your phone) are a system, and they are only as strong as the weakest link. There's little reason to exceed your country's limits with OpenWrt on the router when the client devices cannot broadcast back at that high power anyway.

All else being equal, lower frequencies maintain signal strength over a longer range. However a router with wave 2 5G wifi does rather well with low strength signals. I find it competitive with stronger 2.4G signals at moderate to longish distances, and overall I get much better performance on 5G. In fact, the Linksys EA8500 I run as an AP upstairs in our home provides a very usable signal on the ground floor of our home.

I too would encourage you to give 5G a chance with a good 5G router. I can recommend the EA8500. The R7800 is even more popular around here and is reportedly even faster than the EA8500. I wouldn't know. I can't max out the capabilities of my EA8500. It's been a very solid device.

Interference to what? To airplanes or helicopters? But I have a family and "my band" and "my interference" is more important that all those airplanes. Why somebody took away my interference and my band?

@eginnc High router transmit power is not useful if your client device can't transmit back to the router at a high power.

From my first post: But my tests show that changing country to US and increasing power from 20dbm to 30dbm does not show any difference in wifi analizer app (standing next to router)

@krazeh Why not try 5ghz? Or alternatively place an access point closer to the garden?

5g has a distance of only one of my room. The room where the router is standing. If all these guys are afraid of the band inteference. Why they cannot just switch to 5G (airplanes, helicopters), so I can use 2.4G without any interference.

@eginnc I can recommend the EA8500.

Linksys ? Thank you very much. Those guys are not technicians or any professionals in communication. They are only the sellers of the chinese rubbish (with 5g).

Guys, please fit 2.4G. We are families with kids cannot go outside and enjoy weather while speaking via skype. Pleeeease. Help us with the communication.

First learn the difference in between
ionizing (harmful) radiation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionizing_radiation
and
non-ionizing (harmless) radiation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-ionizing_radiation

Radio waves such as 5G are non-ionizing.

3 Likes

You could ask your regulatory body. But, in addition to what @Borromini said, 2.4 GHz generally have longer range than 5 GHz. So a strickter cap is required in order to minimise extending your signal beyond your boundary.

Can I second what @eduperez said and suggest that we, for the sake of clarity and to avoid unnecessary confusion, stick to the proper use of units. 5 Megahertz is annotated as 5 GHz, not Gh and certainly not 5 G (which is a totally different thing).

Back to your question, you could consider the folliwing options:

• Relocating your router to be closer to the garden.
  • Keep the router where it's but get another router and set some works bridge bryan then to extend the coverage. If your current router supports WDS then getting another one that also supports WDS would be the easiest option.
  • Get a pair of poweline adaptors that also have AP.
1 Like

I do not think you will gain much sympathy around here with that attitude... just saying.

7 Likes

No, to Greys (or UFO, whatever You like) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
But I won't be rude as You ("But I have a family and "my band" and "my interference" ") and give You some advice: What is Wi-Fi interference, and how can I fix it? (by Brandon Miller – Hospitality WiFi CFO)

2 Likes

@Wally But I won't be rude as You.

Maybe I am rude maybe not, but somebody stole my 2.4G from me so I cannot do my business while somebody else can. The "You are breaking the law if you're increasing TX power beyond regulatory limits" is definitely rude.

It's not yours, it's an unlicensed band that's free for anyone to use.

Also, what do planes and helicopters have to do with it?

1 Like

The only think I see is somebody wants to sell me a crap (5g) and take away what is "free for anyone to use". Am I still allowed to breath or there are also some regulatory limits?

Well each to their own I guess. I have far better performance throughout my house from a single access point on a 5ghz band than I do on a 2.4ghz.

Guess you can either take the advice you've already been given here and do something with it. Or you can continue ranting about regulatory limits, airplanes and helicopters, and your (incorrect) belief that 5ghz is somehow worse...

Just to make a conclusion. I don't want to tell 5Ghz is worse. And I apologize if I was rude or incorrect. Am not a technician. I just wanna have a choice which wifi to use and that is my will. I am not going to switch to 5Ghz just because I believe in 2.4Ghz more than 5Ghz. Thanks everyone for trying to explain me that 5Ghz is better choice. And all that regulatory stuff is just somebody's another business to make money.
If somebody can help me with router which is very good in 2.4Ghz please let me guys know. I would really appreciate that.

You're totally wrong - it's fair use for free for everyone. You are NOT only one on this world. I suppose your neighbour will aslo claim and throw fu*** that somebody stole his wifi when You start radio at 1W (if he know where to post :thinking: ).

Second, if You read article I pointed, You will know how wifi works and why it is regulated. It's not Texas where You grab your colt and order everyone get off your backyard. Wifi (and any kind of technology) is for civilized people, so instead shouting like redneck that somebody stole yout wifi just calm down, read, get some knowledge and be polite in your questions. Then You will see that ther're a lot of people willing help You and suggest solutions.
My solution - get wifi extender and be happy.

The Linksys EA8500 has very good 2.4 GHz range. It is well supported by OpenWrt. Mine was purchased used for $55. I recommend it anywhere near that price. It does need to be flashed with a USB to serial dongle the first time, so you need one of those, and you need to open the case. But mine has been worth the small investment of time to find it used and to open the case to flash it the first time with OpenWrt. The R7800 is also very popular around here - I just don't have personal experience with it.

That has not been my experience. The EA8500 is a solid piece of hardware. Plenty of memory (512MB), plenty of flash, fast ipq8064 dual core 1.4GHz processor, good controls and switches. It runs at a fairly cool temperature. It has been reliable. It's capabilities greatly exceed my needs - I expect it to be future proof for some time.

To the original poster: if there is only one thing you take out of this discussion, I hope this will be the understanding that the ongoing scaremongering related to the "5G" is, in fact, completely unrelated to the 5GHz wifi band.
5G is abbreviation for 5th generation of cellular data transmission.
5GHz is just a frequency band, and in the context of wifi, communication in this band involves an entirely different technology and infrastructure.
The fact that both begin with the same two symbols is just a coincidence.
So please, stop confusing these two technologies, for the sake of other people reading this thread.
P.s. both technologies are completely harmless if implemented correctly, but this is not the point. Anyway, there is a very helpful explanation about 5G-related issues in the following video, and you might want to watch it:

1 Like

Non-WiFi transmitters of 2.4 GHz can cause severe interference.

• Microwave ovens
  • Cordless phones and baby monitors
  • Wireless analog security cameras
  • Bluetooth

I've never seen a carrier-supplied "home gateway" provide more than mediocre WiFi performance, so it is possible that a new source of interference has moved in.

2 Likes