HW of ubiquiti nanostation m5 has changed

I've used this to get NSM2 MX with 6.1.7 flashed with openwrt.

Same here for the Nanostation M2 Loco. First I used factory and without reboot I used sysupgrade. Check IP settings in Makefile, than it worked flawless.

Hi!

I have successfully flashed OpenWRT 19.07.1 to an Ubiquiti Nanostation M5 hw rev 1924K.

The image is:
openwrt-19.07.1-ar71xx-generic-ubnt-nano-m-xw-squashfs-factory.bin

I have had to flash (always by tftp), in this order, AirOS 6.1.7, AirOS 6.1.4 and AirOS 6.1.3.
Then, I have been able to flash the aforementioned OpenWRT image.

However, I have been unable to flash qMp image (qMp_4.2.1-Macondo_Ubiquiti_NanoStation-M5-XW_factory_20200110-2210.bin) as the tftp server on Nanostation says:
[...]
sent DATA <block=10113, 412 bytes>
received ERROR <code=2, msg=Firmware check failed>
Error code 2: Firmware check failed
Sent 5177344 bytes in 1.7 seconds

I can make any tests to accomplish this.

Regards
tonikasch
guifi.net Madrid

When running a v6 bootloader, I don't think the TFTP recovery accepts anything other than Ubiquiti firmware.

That appears to be a third-party OpenWrt build. Since you can install official OpenWrt, start there then use sysupgrade to install the sysupgrade version of the third party build.

Hi again,

I have noticed that qmp 4.2.1 is based on openwrt 18.06.6.
I can confirm that openwrt 18.06.6 (http://archive.openwrt.org/releases/18.06.6/targets/ar71xx/generic/openwrt-18.06.6-ar71xx-generic-ubnt-nano-m-xw-squashfs-factory.bin) is neither accepted through tftp:
sent DATA <block=7553, 412 bytes>
received ERROR <code=2, msg=Firmware check failed>
Error code 2: Firmware check failed
Sent 3866624 bytes in 1.2 seconds

Regards

Hey!!!

thanks @tonikasch, I have the @mbgg antenna in front of me and I could flash it following your procedure. hardware version 1901k

I tried with a custom build of 19.07.1 and said same as qMp received ERROR <code=2, msg=Firmware check failed> I did it wrong, works with custom 19.07.1 openwrt-based firmware

but worked with the image you pointed

Maybe they accept the official images of openwrt. Are they signed? Ubiquiti accepts their signature?

Still to confirm with more tests

I would like to know if WebGUI flashing also works

I'm looking for a method to come back to AirOS and do more tests

Did tftp to come back to XW.v6.1.7.32555.180523.1754.bin and with WebGUI I cannot go to openwrt

FInally I found that I could flash any openwrt 19.07.x from latest versions of AirOs and then, from Openwrt, i could flash qMp latest version (which was giving error as is based on Openwrt 18.06 and was therefore identified by AirOs updater as an unsupported "airos" version, from there the error).

Regards

News: nanostation loco m5 devices with at least hw revision 2042K will not work with either ar71xx nor ath79 images for the device:

• openwrt-19.07.7-ar71xx-generic-ubnt-loco-m-xw-squashfs-factory.bin
  • openwrt-19.07.7-ath79-generic-ubnt_nanostation-m-xw-squashfs-factory.bin

However, Nanostation Rocket M5 XW received in the same batch from shop works perfectly with openwrt ath79 image for bullet m xw.

UPDATE: Nanostation Loco M5 XW rev 2047K works with this openwrt firmware (have to check everything is ok but web server is working, reporting it as 'Ubiquiti Bullet M (XW)'):

• openwrt-19.07.7-ath79-generic-ubnt_bullet-m-xw-squashfs-factory.bin

UPDATE2: Regarding qMp (an openwrt-derived project focused on quick mesh developments), the correct firmware for Nanostation Loco M5 XW rev 2042K is the one for Rocket M XW devices:

• openwrt-18.06.5-qmpsmall-ar71xx-generic-ubnt-rocket-m-xw-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

Regards
tonic - tonikasch
guifi.net

(post editing not being available)

Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M5 XW (>2047K hw revision) will accept this OpenWRT firmware through TFTP:
https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/19.07.7/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-19.07.7-ath79-generic-ubnt_bullet-m-xw-squashfs-factory.bin

Ubiquiti Rocket M5 XW will accept the aforementioned OpenWRT firmware through TFTP:
https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/19.07.7/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-19.07.7-ath79-generic-ubnt_bullet-m-xw-squashfs-factory.bin

Regards

@tonikasch are you saying that i can install my Rocket M5 XW using the Loco M5 XW firmware?.

No, just the opposite.

You can use rocket m xw fw in newer nanostation xw m products.

In rocket m xw you can use rocket m xw fw as usual.

Regards

Hello, is there a way to downgrade your device,
If you already have the device open and a ttl-usb adapter, through the serial port.
interrupt boot (control + c)
there you write "urescue -f -e"
with tftpd-client upload fw 5.5.10
will start to install
when finished, interrupt the boot again
this time you just write "urescue"
the device will enter tftpd recovery
with tftpd client you upload the fw 5.5.10.bin or Openwrt.bin
it should work ..... !!! :slight_smile: