[HOWTO] Installing OpenWrt on Cyberoam CR15(w)iNG and CR25(w)iNG

I bought a 4 pin 'performance' fan which was more noisy than the original. I looked if it could be controlled but didn't get anywhere. In the end I bought an inline resistor cable from ebay and added that to the original fan and that helped a bit.

I've since changed to a Nuage networks x86 router running OpenWrt which also has a small fan but is less noisy.

1 Like

Yep, googled the fan model, and it's quiet, at least according to the specs.

As suggested by me early in the thread, and by @konus, buy a resistor, or try running the fan at 7v instead.

I'll probably give this a go. It's the simplest solution. Although ironically, the resitor will dissipate the extra energy as heat inside the case.

I just gave the device a deep clean with compressed air and isopropyl alcohol, with particular focus on the fans. The Cyberroam had clearly never been opened in its entire life and was quite nasty on the inside. I was hoping it'd be quieter after that but it has remained the same - the Cyberroam is located downstairs and I can hear it upstairs still :frowning:

Then perhaps the fans are simply giving up ?
I don't think the one I had was that noisy, but it only had a case fan.

Although what I said was technically true, you can only hear it if you're actually listening out for it. However if you're downstairs with the Cyberoam, it is a constant annoying background noise. So perhaps you are correct and they are simply worn out after up to a decade of use (The hard drive inside was manufactured in November 2012, so the device itself way likely finished and sold in 2013).

It's odd how they seem to have changed around the internals of these subtly. I've seen lots of people with the same model number but different numbers of fans, circuit board layouts, storage sizes, etc. I wonder whether I can simply get away with removing one of the fans. I have no idea whether there is one particular noisy one or not, I'll have to test it further.

Mine didn't have any rubber feet. Adding some to the case may help to stop vibrations being transferred to the shelf / cupboard it is standing on. In the past I've also lined the inside of a metal NAS enclosure with automotive anti vibration material which did make it a bit quieter. In the end most of these devices probably lived in a server / computer room and designing for low noise was never a priority. I'm not sure if the fans are critical since the PC engines APU2 line of devices uses the same CPU and are passively cooled.

Yeah, I guess commercial-grade electronics aim for performance over noise-levels. My Cyberoam came with some decent rubber feet, but I'll give some sort of further decoupling method a go to see if it helps. I may be getting some resonance with my TV stand upon which m Cyberoam stands, so it may help.

I'm going to try disabling the CPU fan today and monitor how the temperatures go. I'm going under the assumption that a overheating Cyberoam will simply shut down and not become a fire risk.

it could down clock, it's probably cpu/vendor specific though.

I've removed the CPU fan and it is far quieter now. It seems like the majority of the noise came from that one fan. The CPU temperature has increased, as expected, but it still seems to be in an acceptable range. It rose from 40C to 55C with an hour of use.

2 Likes

For anyone wishing to upgrade RAM on this device it appears that at least 8GB is supported. I replaced the 2GB DDR3 1333 SODIMM with a 4GB DDR3L 1600 SODIMM I hand on hand and the device booted and recognized 4GB. I then replaced with a 8GB DDR3 1333 SODIMM and the device again booted and recognized 8GB. This despite the AEWIN SCB-6979 datasheet indicating up to 4GB support.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info.

What benefit does bumping this up to 8GB give you? I have the stock 2GB and even with several additional packages installed, I am only using 1GB of it at present. However the fact that I can grab a 4GB stick off of eBay for only £5 is very tempting nonetheless.

Are you doing something particularly memory-intensive? I wouldn't have imagine a router to really use all that much memory (Hence why I don't believe many retail routers have a great deal of RAM).

8GB gives enough RAM to run another Linux based OS on the hardware and then run OpenWrt in a VM.

As a Newby to the serial console and flashing Cr15ing - I hope my post will benefit someone.
I spent around 7 hours in flashing the CR15ing. So what went wrong following OPs instructions:
2The step "When you see if, do as requested. You will be shown the OpenWrt logo and taken to the command line:" - never appeared in my use case. I was waiting for ages, then I started reformatting USB drives, etc, etc...
What I did is to connect another comp to the CR15ing's lan port and query Openwrt at 192.168.1.1.
3If you make a mistake like me - uploading previous router config into x86 - then you need to repeat all the above steps.
I would like to especially to thank to @NC1 for the detailed instructions - this was the trigger for me to buy the device, as well as @frollic 's promotion in the forum :slight_smile:
Now is the test time...
Thanks again

Just if anyone thinking about using this device (CR15iNG) for anything.
I received it for 20euro. The device has singlecore AMD G-T24L single core processor, which is a sentence to this device.
I tried speedtest (600Mb/600Mb) - the processor barely handles the test, reaching 65-70% CPU.
Wally's MT7915 card does not give more than 100Mbit with 40-45% CPU usage. I guess the wifi minipcie slot is bandwidth or CPU limited. Keeps disconnecting all the time.
Power consumption is quite ok - at 11W idle without WIFI, 18 - with. 19,5 at 100% CPU.