[HOWTO] Installing OpenWrt on Cyberoam CR15(w)iNG and CR25(w)iNG

Indeed. I just installed OpenWrt on a Sophos XG85w. I could write an identical guide about it, except the processor would be Intel Atom E3805 and the boot drive is an eMMC device, so instead of /dev/sda, you would use /dev/mmcblk0. But I followed my own guidance more or less on an autopilot, and things worked out very well...

The trick with OpenWrt on x86 is to identify the kernel modules to match the ever-so-diverse hardware. The trickiest cases arise when OpenWrt can't detect any networking hardware on the first boot, so the appropriate packages need to be introduced somehow other than through networking... The very first installation guide I published here involved Watchguard Firebox X750e Core. That old beast had two different Marvell NICs, and neither had a kernel module present at the first boot. To make matters worse, the thing didn't have a USB port and booted off a CF card. So I ended up copying kmod-skge (kernel module for the primary NIC) onto the CF card, booting from it and installing kmod-skge locally to get at least some networking capability. After that, smooth sailing... :slight_smile:

1 Like

I suspect they would be identical. Especially if the reader follows the approach presented here and does the suggested diagnostic steps before actually changing things on the system...

Hi can any one say just how fast these boxes are pleas. I have just had a bump to my internet speed and my trusty r7800 cant keep up. Would the cr15 be a step up or would I have to jump up to the cr35? All so do these boxes have fans on them? I don't want a winy fan in my living room.

The cr25 routes 1gbit at 13% CPU load (50% on one of 4 cores).

The cr25 and 35 got fans, no idea about the 15.

I read that the cr25 is a single core cpu. https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bobcat/AMD-G%20Series%20G-T30L%20-%20GET30LGBB12GTE.html

They're wrong, or you're looking at the wrong CPU.

Very good, I found a working CR25Wing for 50 euros...

Delivery around November 15,

I will be able to play with it!!!

Let me start at the end: yes, they do have fans. So these are not the droids you want. :slight_smile: Also from the not the droids you want department: these are OLD boxes. So old that they are past end of life set by the manufacturer. Also also, they are commercial-grade boxes, so they are designed to provide more processing power than you would find on home equipment (this is necessary for encryption, threat management, and other "commercial-type" functions).

Back to cooling, the CR15 has one fan on the side of its case (so it moves air side-to-side) and a decent size heat sink on top of the CPU. The CR25, in addition, has a second fan sitting on top of the CPU.

In terms of performance, I have to repeat: these are OLD boxes. They have Gigabit Ethernet and Wireless N Wi-Fi. They are designed to perform well in situations where processing power, rather than data transmission rate, is likely to be the bottleneck. So once again, this is probably not your use case...

1 Like

Have fun!!! :slight_smile:

Just a quick question:

Is the console in TTL or RS232 ? Pinout ?

I looked at the picture and saw the Wifi slot, I think I would put a b/g/n/ac 2.4 / 5 Ghz wifi card there.

I must have a small SSD of 60 Gb surely usable

Rs232.

You'll need a RJ45 to 9 pin RS232, I've seen RJ45 to USB too, haven't used one though.

1 Like

I honestly have no idea. The physical connector is RJ-45, and that's all I know,

All units I have looked at have Atheros 93xx wireless cards that go up to N and use the ath9k driver. So I would guess that upgrading to an AC card is possible. I've seen AC cards on newer Sophos models that are similar to these.

The hard drive is mounted on a tray that sits above the motherboard. There are three mounting points, two are on the edge of the case, the third one is a standoff. The standoff, incidentally, is located in a way that prevents the removal of the CF card from its slot. So you will have to take out the hard drive tray (which you have to do anyway to install the SSD, since drive mounting screws are on the bottom of the tray), then unscrew the standoff, and only then remove the CF card. Like I said, fun. :slight_smile:

These are commonly called "Cisco console cables" since Cisco was one of the first to make this standard for RS-232 over RJ-45. They are are usually light blue flat cable. The voltage levels are RS-232 not TTL.

Ok for RS232 ....

I have some USB/ / RS232 adapters or PCi card with 4 * RS232 or fine this:

RS232 <- > Bluetooth FireFly

I snagged one of these on ebay, but it's easy to create one, of you got the 9 pin RS232 connector lying around.

While I also got a 'real' RSR232/ rj45 serial one, I'd recommend the USB2serial ones these days (as devices with DB9 serial ports are getting rare) - even if they're a little more expensive (you're just more flexible that way).

Interesting, mine didn't have a fan on top of the CPU heat sink.

Assuming there are half size/lenght AC cards out there, I haven't seen any, but I also haven't been looking.

For Wifi AC Bluetooth combo i have some Intel 7260HMW

package: kmod-iwlwifi ??

the RS232 <-> FireFly Bluetooth works very well and that wirelessly.
I have used it before with my NetGear SRX5308 4*WAN Router
For the DB9 <-> RJ45 cable I have no worries

I read that the cr25 is a single core cpu. https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bobcat/AMD-G%20Series%20G-T30L%20-%20GET30LGBB12GTE.html

It appears that some of the confusion is caused by the fact that Cyberoam at some point updated their hardware and used the same model names. Looking at ebay you can see some CR25(w)iNG models that are rebranded AEWIN SCB-6901 devices and others that use the newer AEWIN SCB-6979 device. To tell the difference you'll need to see the Model number on the label on the bottom of the device.

3 Likes

While waiting to receive the material today I am trying to install an x86 version on an old laptop
I compiled a firmware by adding lspci
I used Rufus to put a firmware in a 480 Gb SSD
The first tests are conclusive, no problem at startup
Then, as there is no compatible network driver, I therefore had to use lspci to get the information concerning the lan and wifi ports.
I recompiled again with the drivers and this time the network cards are detected. everything is fine except for the wifi which does not have WPA2.

I added the following list that I use every time and this time the wifi works

opkg update
opkg install ntfs-3g
opkg install e2fsprogs  fstools fwtool block-mount blkid lsblk
opkg install kmod-fs-exfat kmod-fs-exportfs kmod-fs-ext4
kmod-fs-reiserfs kmod-fs-vfat 
opkg install kmod-scsi-core 
opkg install kmod-usb-core  kmod-usb-storage kmod-usb-storage-extras
opkg install kmod-usb-storage-uas kmod-usb-printer kmod-usb-xhci-mtk
opkg install kmod-usb-wdm kmod-usb-xhci-hcd 
opkg install kmod-usb3
opkg install kmod-mtd-rw