How Well Does the Linksys EA6350v3 Work With OpenWrt?

It would be easier to just use the prebuilt with the patch... Or if you want, to configure the switch from the command line.
Anyway, patching and building a kernel it's not the same as using the image builder. Why? Because the patched is applied to the kernel source code, not to the kernel executable. You'll need to build a custom image from source.

2 Likes

I'm willing to try both. Does the patch fix LuCI? Failing that with some guidance on the VLAN setup I'm happy to configure it through the backend.

I'm just trying to reverse engineer eginnc's /etc/config/network file to see what port they used for the trunk line.

UPDATE
From looking over the config port 1 is tagged option ports '1t' across all of the VLANs. Port 0 I assume is the CPU for the software VLANs and if WAN port was listed we would have 6 options rather 5?

Yes, that's more or less how it works in the OpenWrt default. In fact, you'll need to double tag your ports.
You'll need to tag port 5 (the wan port) always. This is because, in reality, eth0 is not LAN but CPU and eth1 doesn't exist. However, the driver will "treat the wan port as eth1", then you'll need to tag both and select the corresponding interface (eth0.x and/or eth1.x according to your needs).

And yes, in my ROM vlan works as expected in LuCI.

How can I apply this patch so that I can use LuCI please?

• Download a Linux distro (skip if using macOS).
  • Install all required tools (you'll need Xcode for macOS)
  • Clone the OpenWrt source code
  • Download the commit as a patch from GitHub
  • Run git apply
  • Configure the image using make menuconfig
  • Build the firmware and wait for it to end without errors

Or download and install my ROM (I already did the hard work) from my post in the section of this forum for community projects and custom builds...

Most users give me feedback on private (I don't understand why) but here is someone saying that the VLAN works good.

1 Like

By on the off chance have you got the switch layout config just for the VLANs you could paste on here in a code block please?

It's in the commit linked above.

I misunderstood. The configuration used by my testers and by myself is not compatible with OpenWrt Vanilla and will render the device unusable until a factory reset (or a network reset) is performed from Fail Safe mode. Therefore, I would not recommend trying it.

Can you explain what is the advantage of image builder? I never used it and always build from buildroot.

What I said: if you just want to add extra packages to or remove from your image, or include some extra scripts you made yourself, the image builder suffices.

2 Likes

I appreciate your help.

I'm trying to apply the patch but I think I'm clearly doing wrong here. I've being following this guide >>https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-developer/build-system/use-buildsystem

git branch release
git checkout openwrt-19.07
./scripts/feeds update -a && ./scripts/feeds install -a
make menuconfig
make defconfig
make download
git appy --stat 715-net-essedma-disable-default-vlan.patch
git appy --check 715-net-essedma-disable-default-vlan.patch

the last command reports

git apply '715-net-essedma-disable-default-vlan.patch'
error: arch/arm/boot/dts/qcom-ipq4019.dtsi: No such file or directory
error: drivers/net/ethernet/qualcomm/essedma/edma.c: No such file or directory

After searching the root build directory I did accidentally come across this directory with other patches in ~/openwrt/target/linux/ipq40xx/patches-4.14

I was wondering if I could move the physical file into there and when it compiles it gets applied?

That's exactly what you have to do.

Beware that the original patch form Christian does require further work to be done and it's the main reason of why it's not upstream.

So: if you apply the patch, build, flash and boot. It won't work. Please refer to my version of the patch for further details.

This is the board.d\02_network file correct? If so do I need to append a .patch file extension to the file and place it in the `patches-4.14' directory?

Nope. It's not a patch to the kernel. You'll need to replace the file inside the "base-files" package for the device. Not as a patch, a replacement of the whole file.

Do I use the custom files by placing the file into <buildroot dir>/files/?

That's an option too. I would prefer to replace the original file to keep track of the changes as the files folder is ignored by git. But it's totally doable and the effect is the same.ñ

2 Likes

Okay I have just compiled the firmware and copied the file to the correct folder but I now have no switch page on LuCI.

If I type the address in manually it's just a blank page. I only thing I can think of is I need to change the permissions on the file.

Advanced Reboot also seems to be doing weird things. OpenWrt was on partition 1 so I clicked the button on the other partition Reboot to alternative partition.... A error page displayed and when back to the IP address to gain access to LuCI, went back to Adcanced Reboot and now both partitions are OpenWrt. I re-load the page again and the firmware switches back; one saying OpenWrt and the other Linksys.

I will re-compile now to see if it makes any difference and update with the verdict.

Any other suggestions?

Please flash your firmware without keeping your settings until you can be sure that everything's working.

I didn't have any files directory so I had no pre-configured settings.

I simply did the following:-

git clone https://git.openwrt.org/openwrt/openwrt.git
cd ~/openwrt
git <tag or branch>
git checkout <tag or branch> 
git checkout v19.07.0-rc1
./scripts/feeds update -a && ./scripts/feeds install -a
make menuconfig
# Then selected Target System, Subtarget, Target Profile and finally saved #
make defconfig
make -j5 clean download world

I have been switching back to partition 1 (stock Linksys firmware) and flashing the factory image from there.

However, recently every time I flash the firmware the OpenWrt firmware onto partition I can't gain access to the router. Lucky enough I've been doing the hardware partition switch to get back to stock. I might try flashing the stock firmware to both partitions again in hope that it will wipe over the bad OpenWrt firmware.

Why don't you flash my firmware? I mean, it works and it's way easier. I've already suffer all of those headaches. (Don't answer, rhetorical question).

Anyway, you're problem is expected as I told you several days ago that you'll lose access to the device.

1 Like