How to use the maximum tx power of 2.4GHz Wi-Fi?

Hello friends, good time How can I use the maximum tx power of my tplink tl-wr841n v13 wifi router? Because in the default mode, even by changing the region to "US", there is no change from 18dB! Because currently the range of this router is low. Please introduce me several different regions or introduce me a way so that I can increase it up to 20dB Thanks

Quesrion: Does the orginal hardware specification state the the antenna(s) has 2 db gain?

Why?

18 + 2 == 20

My router has 2 antennas with a power of 5dB each

In my modem, it has the maximum option of 18dB, but I am looking for more power because it works weaker than my previous router, which is 21dB.

In my experience, newer access points than the 841n actually outperform it on 2.4 ghz as well... In any case, to get at least a little bit of throughput I wonder if you can not instead deploy a second accesspoint nearer to the client? What about 5ghz?

1 Like

My router only has the 2.4GHz band and 18dB is the last option listed in the US region. That means there is really no way to increase the power. I also have a BT HomeHub 5 modem whose power reaches up to 30dB, of course, by changing the region to US, while that my current router does not provide me with more values ​​by changing the region :frowning:

Dude the TL-WR841N was a router my granpa was using when he was young....
you can't turn a donkey into a racehorse :sweat_smile:
you can find something newer and better for about $20

have a look to this thread:

1 Like

:warning: BTW, it's not legal to change the radio country/region. It's also against the forum's Community Guidelines for others to provide such instructions.

After understanding more posts, it seems your device's max is 18 db.

4 Likes

Dear friend, this router is not old at all, version 13 of this router was released in 2018, and unlike all routers in this series, it is the only router that has 8 MB flash and 64 MB RAM. while the rest are all 32.4 MB. Please don't mock instead of helping!

1 Like

This topic was kinda discussed in a previous thread that I started.

To put things simply, the problem with changing wifi country profiles is that you may end up activating certain frequencies that are not compatible with client devices sold in your country, and therefore that device will never be able to connect the your wifi signal (thus my case of an Epson printer ET-2850 sold in the US that wasn't compatible with KR profile), also in some cases the router may not be able to start the wifi signal at all complaining about missing survey noise floor!

Yes, the profile in some cases may limit the signal capacity that a router can emit. However, I have come across in some cases that no matter how much power you enable with the country profile, in reality you will not be able to do so given restrictions by the hardware capability and/or driver capability, if you force it in someway by tinkering the driver you may end up frying the chip (more power, more heat that's why in some routers you may see an heat sink). Aside that what @lleachii said you could be breaking some legal boundaries.

Anyways, one of the openness country profile and compatible with US devices is the PA profile (Panama).

i can see version 14 here : https://www.tp-link.com/en/home-networking/wifi-router/tl-wr841n/#specifications
it's an outdated router ! even if it was released in 2018... 10/100 ports and wifi N...
Is it really worthwhile to look for solutions on this old thing?

by the way, we can see in the spec for all versions :

i don't know if it means it can go up to 30dBm if you choose a country outside CE.

In the country where I live routers
And network equipment is very expensive.
Maybe everything is so cheap in your country?!
So I think it must seem ridiculous to you too
But thank you for your effort

I can understand your wanting to not have to buy a new one.

A few things to think about. You might have a hard limit. The radio chip in that router might only do +18dbm maximum. If so, you can't make it do more. Another thing, I've heard of a few models out there (don't know if this one is one) that have issues turned all the way up, they run cleaner a few db lower than full power. So, you might not want to drive it harder.

Anyway, a different approach that would be free, is to adjust the placement of the router. Raise it higher up, place it more centrally, avoid having to go thru walls, etc. That could go a long way to better range with what you have. Also, get a wifi channel monitoring program for the phone or use the scan feature in OpenWrt, to make sure your on the least used channel. That helps a lot as well. These are basics, and apologies if you have already done so, but they often get overlooked.

3 Likes

Hello friends , I was checking older versions of Openwrt for the TL-WR841N V13 router when I noticed that values ​​up to 30dB are available, for example in version 18.06.9 But the newer versions are limited to 18dB? Do the developers and creators of Openwrt have a special reason for this? Because actually limiting this item leaves the user's hands open for proper configuration. I request the developers to return this item.

Maximum power levels are set to comply with local regulations. It is illegal to operate your router outside the range allowed in your location, and it may cause problems for your neighbors (i.e. interference, etc.) as well as potentially issues for you (overheating the radio chipsets and/or sub-optimal performance because it is running at the max spec (or beyond), much like how an audio amplifier will begin to distort significantly as you reach the top end of the power capacity of the device.

2 Likes

But, in the country where I live, it is legally allowed up to 30dB, while changing the region to my country or even the United States of America, this value is still limited to 18dB :frowning:

Duplicate:

This doesn't mean the device is capable, nor does it mean ot was ever designed from the factory to do so.

Is there some reason you beleive that your device is capable of 20, and now 30 db?

:bulb: (Please be sure to count antenna system.)

Well I guess you live in the US since this whole tread is about you changing the country code to US.
But I guess pretty much everything “here” is more expensive than the whole world just by the 25% buytaxes for actually buying anything, and before that we have paid the income tax on the same money used to buy the thing.

But what is the router output of this command:

iw reg get

global
country US: DFS-FCC
(2402 - 2472 @ 40), (N/A, 30), (N/A)
(5170 - 5250 @ 80), (N/A, 23), (N/A), AUTO-BW
(5250 - 5330 @ 80), (N/A, 23), (0 ms), DFS, AUTO-BW
(5490 - 5730 @ 160), (N/A, 23), (0 ms), DFS
(5735 - 5835 @ 80), (N/A, 30), (N/A)
(57240 - 71000 @ 2160), (N/A, 40), (N/A)

As you say it should have a 30mW limit according to the router wifi driver itself.

Wonder if this is a regulation locked wifi chip?

And it say “US model” or similar on the label underneath? So you haven’t imported a CE device?

What power do you get available to choose between with default setup (after a reset) without first specify a country setting?