How to use router as an interface antenna with an odroid

i am using an application for scanning MAC address "not connected not all available", and store them in a data base, the hardware tp-link archer c 20 i am using CPU is full, so i want to make all the processing on the Odroid "similar to raspberry pi" to have higher processing power, and the use of router to have the use of its antennas. any help please

Duplicate: Group of tplink archer c20 v4 working together on the same network

not duplicate this is completely another question with another solution of the same task

What processing are we talking about here? Like VPN, DLNA or what? Or is it just the scanning and storing of the MAC addresses?

If the former, then you could just make the Odroid the router and the C20 an AP (presuming that the Odroid has decent NICs).

I'm not sure what "not all available" means.

Realize that modern mobile OSs use random MAC addresses to issue wifi Probe Requests when not connected. This is to protect the user's privacy in the face of applications like yours.

You don't need a lot of CPU here if you write or modify a little C program to instantly discard monitored packets other than Probe Requests.

2 Likes

This.

Storing MAC adresses of mobile phones is pointless, as they randomize MAC's so that shady tracking AP's cannot identify devices "just passing by".

2 Likes

thank u so much, not connected is the correct term to use "ignore not available", so now i have to try another method to collect and store the real MAC of the passing phones. as that is my goal

only scanning and storing.

I still do not understand what you are trying to achieve?

Are you trying to scan and store MAC for all devices that happen to be in vicinity of the router (but not connected?)

Or are you trying to log MAC for all devices that are authorized and connected to the router WiFi?

3 Likes

That would be very easy. Install the full wpad and configure RADIUS accounting, and set up a RADIUS server. Hostapd will issue RADIUS accounting even on an open or PSK AP.

Technically, recent-generation phone firmware does its best to prevent this kind of "privacy intrusion". Read any of the threads around on "So many unidentified MAC addresses, am I under attack?" to see how widespread this is.

I'll leave it to your conscience and your client's legal team to evaluate what you're doing in the context of your jurisdiction.

3 Likes

From your other thread: "i am doing a project to monitor and collect MACs of customers for a big store, so i have 3 routers with OPENWRT".

OK. You are going to end up with large database of random numbers.

1 Like

i am trying to scan the phones that have their WiFi enabled on their phones, and in the vicinity of the router. i want to store them to make a log for their movement later

yes that is what i am having, so what can i do to have the real MAC of the phones

You cannot do anything. Whole idea is based on wrong assumption that you can track people by logging their MAC. That assumtion is wrong. Mobiles are actively making tracking impossible by spoofing MAC. For a good reason, I do not want stores to track me.

Thus, your "project" goal is impossible as long as phones do not actually log onto your network.

2 Likes

Why do you want to do that, if I may ask?

1 Like

i was trying to make a study(for a R&D department), if i can log the movement and presence of people, having their phones with them using their phones without them having to do any action(passive) even no cameras can be used. the best idea came to my mind is to collect the MAC address of them as most people keep their phones WiFi ON, but i wasn't aware about is the concept of MAC randomization, now i am searching for solutions.

This is typically done with Bluetooth beacons and enticing the phone owner to install an app.

I would use Google Vision kit and train it to recognize silhouettes instead. One on entryu and one on exit. Much more dependable than counting mobiles.

There is no "real MAC address" if the device randomizes it. And, most Android devices will switch wifi off when the phone is not in use.

1 Like