How to use OpenWrt as a wi-fi repeater using a different SSID

This is a hardware limitation. The dev team will not be able to add support for a feature that is hardware limited.

There are many other chipsets that are supported by openwrt and have the ability to do simultaneous ap+sta mode (or multiple ap). Or, a device with multiple radios will also be able to do this (one radio as sta, the other as ap).

what? you can actually do WDS on the official firmware I thought it was just software based :frowning:

and yeah i know but that'd mean buying hardware and i was hoping to reuse this router since i had it lying around, guess i could check some 2nd hand stores/websites and see if i can get one that supports this for cheap

In that case, the issue may be about closed source drivers. And in that situation, the devs cannot replicate all the functionality because of the proprietary nature of the drivers and chip sdk.

yeah i thought that might be the case but i mean until recently-ish it was impossible to even install openwrt on this without hardware mods and now its easier so i thought there might be hope for it to evolve and maybe someday get this functionality but tbh its a pretty useless router so it wouldnt be worth it and the amount of work needed to be able to reverse engineer close sourced drivers for this would be better spend literally anywhere else.

Also, i actually found a lot of routers for 5-10€ on a 2nd hand website, many are from isps so they have broadcom SoCs but maybe some dont, or they have an option to do this out of the box so i guess im gonna be looking for one and see if its worth the money. I marked the thread as solved already too since theres nothing left to try tbh. thanks for your help

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.