How to use all memory in Linksys EA6500 V2

Hi there, I have a EA6500 V2 router which has 256MB RAM. After flashing a official OpenWRT firmware it shows only 128MB is available. Then I tried compiling the firmware myself and the result is still the same 128MB. In the file of bcm4708-linksys-ea6500-v2.dts, I found the following values.

	memory@0 {
		device_type = "memory";
		reg = <0x00000000 0x08000000>;

I changed it to reg = <0x00000000 0x10000000> and recompile. However, it doesn't seems to work. The router simple cannot boot normally. Anyone know how to use full memory in OpenWRT? By the way, the file is located at: .../build_dir/target-arm_cortex-a9_musl_eabi/linux-bcm53xx_generic/linux-5.4.214/arch/arm/boot/dts


I didn't check the dts file but for me the change looks correct. But


does not look correct


--> bcm47xx ?

Maybe there is a mistake? So check if you have choosen the correct file to edit and if you have choosen the proper settings in menuconfig (arm/mips). You have to choose arm for your device.

But my best bet is (due to boot issues you have described):
I remember that those devices had limited nvram available. Overall 32k max. Which was often shared with dual boot --> 16k max. If you have overconsumed this value the devices were behaving very strange/unuseable. You can google about.

I would sort out this unit.

FYI - bcm53xx: linksys ea6500-v2: extend RAM to full 256MB
Please try a current snapshot image and report back. Thanks!

1 Like

Ah, 2x128 MB @iv7777 you've got it almost. :smiley:

I've solved the 32k nvram bug in the original CFE already by flashing Vortex's one following the instruction in the forum. Previously I've put Tomato Arm into this unit and used for a couple year with good results. Just wanted to try out OpenWRT on it and encountered this issue. The file I am using should be the correct one because changing the file content has resulted in different behavior of the compiled firmware such as, the LED configuration that I added, which successfully lights up the power LED on the unit. The target and ARM selection in make menuconfig should be correct since that's the only place I can find the EA6500V2 device. Will try the patch referred by @tmomas and report back the result.

will test it and report back. Thanks.

It works like a charm, thanks a lot. By the way, the following is the code to enable the power LED on the device if anyone would be interested. I don't know how to put them into the patch. I am using the default kernel 5.4. Tried 5.15, lots of problem. So for now, stick to 5.4 only.

	leds { 
 	       compatible = "gpio-leds"; 
 	       power { 
 	            label = "bcm53xx:green:power"; 
 	            gpios = <&chipcommon 8 GPIO_ACTIVE_HIGH>; 
 	            linux,default-trigger = "default-on"; 

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.