How to upgrade my rb750gr3

After I upload the .bin I get a big red warning message that says:
The flash image was uploaded. Below is the checksum and file size listed, compare them with the original file to ensure data integrity.
Click "Proceed" below to start the flash procedure.

Size: 5.56 MB
MD5: 923fec205de11d5cfb84995bea52d712
SHA256: 3846140b3e8ab0e9c8a00e52d0c331ade902ef8fc45910d73f8831f75077b8f1

Device mikrotik,rb750gr3 not supported by this image Supported devices: mikrotik,routerboard-750gr3 mikrotik,rb750gr3 - Image version mismatch: image 1.1, device 1.0. Please wipe config during upgrade (force required) or reinstall. Reason: Config cannot be migrated from swconfig to DSA Image check failed.

The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. Make sure that you choose the generic image format for your platform.

According to the post:

The first part of the message can be ignored as long as I "force wipe config during upgrade" which means I will have to reconfigure everything. How do I "force" it?

But the second part of the message may not be addressed, and I do not know what to do.
"The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. Make sure that you choose the generic image format for your platform."

How do I deal with that? Hear is the info from status page:

Hostname OpenWrt
Model MikroTik RouterBOARD 750Gr3
Architecture MediaTek MT7621 ver:1 eco:3
Firmware version OpenWrt 19.07.4 r11208-ce6496d796 / LuCI openwrt-19.07 branch git-20.247.75781-0d0a01
Kernel Version 4.14.195
help

this is telling you exactly why it is failing. It is saying that the OpenWrt version you are running currently is swconfig based, and the new one is DSA. The configuration files are entirely incompatible. So it says you must wipe the config and force the upgrade.

If you're doing this via the CLI, make sure you use both the -F and -n arguments:

sysupgrade -n -F <filename>
2 Likes

So you are saying I should check the "force" checkbox and proceed, then when the system reboots, go thru the configuration progress from the start.
Is that correct?

Correct. And you must also ensure that the “keep settings” checkbox is unchecked

OK, it worked. I had to reset root password, /etc/ethers, /etc/hosts, my ssh keys, ddns server and ntp time server. It all worked.

Thank You

You’re welcome.

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.
Thanks! :slight_smile: