How to update EC25 firmware?

Is there any tool to update the fw of a EC25, installed in an openwrt device ?

You will need to install qmi-utils which contains the qmi-firmware-update tool. Also make sure that uqmi or modemmanager don't interfere with the modem while updating (ie. remove or disable the wwan interface).

2 Likes

I assume, this would need QMI for the modem. Actually I am using plain, old PPP, which i.g. works very stable. So, is there any other option ?

You will need to (temporarily) switch the modem to QMI mode for firmware update. MBIM mode can also work as there is QMI-over-MBIM.

OK, got QMI up and running, for a while, already. Noticed, to have rather old firmware on the EC25-AF, lacking some of the AT-cmds I would like to use. I received already a package from Quectel, containing their latest firmware: EC25AFFAR07A14M4G_01.003.01.003.zip
It contains quite a few files, so I need to ask, whether this will be compatible with your proposed qmi-firmware-update ?

I suggest using qfirehose, the tool recommended by Quectel.
You will need to build it yourself though.
Alternatively you can probably use their QFlash tool on Windows but first you will need to make one of the modem's interfaces available across the network.

Thats what I was afraid of. May be, you could make an official openwrt package out of it ?

What router the modem is working with?

Teltonika, RUT955

Is there a solution for the thread topics? I am using EC25 on the BPI-R3 and wondering if I could update the EC25 firmware without removing it.

I got QFirehose from another openwrt user, built for my SoC. Using it, I succeeded to upgrade the firmware of my EC25-EU. Unfortunately, you have other hardware. May be, you find QFirehose, compiled for your device on https://www.ofmodemsandmen.com

You can try QFlash as I mentioned earlier.