How to setup freedns on LuCI lede-17.01

I have been searching on how to setup the dynamic dns on LuCI lede-17.01. The dynamic dns is already part of the Services, however when I tried to configure it using the GUI provided it is not updating the freedns to the current ip address. I have a tp-link wr841n router. Anyone can give me a direction on how to set it up? Thank you.

https://freedns.afraid.org/scripts/freedns.clients.php

See section that says: Router clients > OpenWrt.

Your provider gives you your exact configs and instructions.

3 Likes

Thank you for your reply. I was wondering if the GUI under service dynamic dns is useable instead of hard coding it as suggested. anyone can clarify on this. Thank you.

Test it and find out.

When you make a change using the GUI, what appears in /etc/config/ddns? Does the result seem sensible, or does it suggest that there's an error somewhere?

In addition, 18.06.2 is the current release; is there anything preventing you from using the newest - and supported - version of OpenWRT?

1 Like

On the latest version 18... I tried installing the dynamic dns services using the suggested steps, but the package ddns is not in the list of available packages, so I decided installing the LEDE 17.., however it seems it does't update.

It doesn't suggest that there is an error on the file however comparing the suggestion options from freedns, the file on the /etc/config/ddns has less options than the one suggested by freedns.

If you're scared of the command line, can't you just type in the appropriate information from the website - into the web GUI?

Also, I don't know what you mean by the phrase "hard coding" - unless that means using the command line.

1 Like

Yes hard coding. I did try hard coding it through the command line, still it is not updating the the ip address on freedns.

Did not give any error but it is not updating.

Please use one post when reposing to multiple questions or posters. We can all see your responses.

It will keep you from the risk of going over your new user posting limit.

• Can you provide a picture of the config
  • or paste your config file (please place it in a codebox using the </> icon)

I'll just let you know, we prefer pasting files instead of pictures (also that will keep you from going over your picture posting limit too)

1 Like

Take a look in mine that works fine:

config service 'freedns4'
        option enabled '1'
        option password 'VE...=='
        option use_https '1'
        option cacert 'IGNORE'
        option use_syslog '3'
        option ip_source 'network'
        option interface 'wan'
        option ip_network 'wan'
        option service_name 'afraid.org-v2-token'
        option lookup_host 'your.domain.com'

config ddns 'global'
        option ddns_dateformat '%F %R'
        option ddns_loglines '250'
        option upd_privateip '0'

config service 'freedns6'
        option use_ipv6 '1'
        option use_https '1'
        option cacert 'IGNORE'
        option ip_source 'network'
        option use_syslog '3'
        option service_name 'afraid.org-v2-token'
        option interface 'lan'
        option ip_network 'lan'
        option enabled '1'
        option lookup_host 'your.domain.com'
        option password 'VE...=='

Change lookup_host, password, ip_network, and interface to your own.

3 Likes

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/services/ddns/client#freednsafraidorg

3 Likes

The name has changed.

root@wap:~# opkg list | grep -i ddns
ddns-scripts - 2.7.8-1 - Dynamic DNS Client scripts (with IPv6 support) - Info: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/ddns.client
ddns-scripts_cloudflare.com-v4 - 2.7.8-1 - Dynamic DNS Client scripts extension for CloudFlare.com API-v4 (require/install cURL)
ddns-scripts_freedns_42_pl - 2.7.8-1 - Dynamic DNS Client scripts extension for freedns.42.pl
ddns-scripts_godaddy.com-v1 - 2.7.8-1 - Dynamic DNS Client scripts extension for GoDaddy.com (require/install cURL)
ddns-scripts_no-ip_com - 2.7.8-1 - Dynamic DNS Client scripts extension for No-IP.com
ddns-scripts_nsupdate - 2.7.8-1 - Dynamic DNS Client scripts extension for direct updates using Bind nsupdate
ddns-scripts_route53-v1 - 2.7.8-1 - Dynamic DNS Client scripts extension for Amazon AWS Route53. Note: You must also install ca-certificate or ca-bundle. It requires: "option username" to be a valid AWS access key id "option password" to be the matching AWS secret key id "option domain" to contain the hosted zone ID
inadyn - 2.3-1 - Inadyn is a small and simple Dynamic DNS, DDNS, client with HTTPS support
luci-app-ddns - 2.4.9-3 - LuCI Support for Dynamic DNS Client (ddns-scripts)
2 Likes

Thank you guys. Got it working because of you replies.

I made a slight change in the service_name. afraid.org-v2-token is the latest one and supports better IPv6, so I encourage you to change it too.

If your problem is solved, feel free to mark the relevant post as the solution; and edit the title to add "[SOLVED]" to the beginning (click the pencil behind the topic).

grafik

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.