How to set up routed repeater

I would like to know how to set up a routed repeater. I want it to work exactly the way a "normal" WAP works, with firewall and NAT between the local (Wifi and LAN) network, and the WAN. Except the WAN connection is a client Wifi connection to a different Wifi network instead of a wired Ethernet connection to a modem/ONT/whatever.

I'm working with a large building-wide Wifi network that restricts client-to-client traffic. That means that two Wifi clients sitting next to each other on the desk can't freely talk to each other (e.g. TCP connections to port 80 on other clients are allowed, but not to port 631). This causes problems.

I'd like to set up a a new WAP to serve a small number of clients on a "private" Wifi network where client-to-client traffic is unrestricted, and then have a firewall/NAT route "outside" traffic to the building-wide Wifi network (just like one normally would to a wired WAN connection to "The Internet").

All of the documentation I can find on setting up a repeater/extender/whatever seems to be aimed specifically at avoiding what I'm actually trying to do.

Would it be easier to just just two devices? One would have the radio configured as client with firewall/NAT/DHCP server enabled, and then just run an Ethernet cable to a LAN port on a second device configured as a WAP (with no WAN connection).

travelmate can do what you want.
Also ap+sta

2 Likes

My logic would be the following, essentially have each AP set in client mode & AP mode, this way the wireless "backlink" goes through the WAN firewall to the "maser" router that can that have AP isolation turned on to so each "Private AP cluster" is isolated from each other but still able to communicate between each other, its how i have my internet set up from public BT Wi-Fi, follows the same logic

travelmate can do what you want.
Also ap+sta

Yes, ap+sta looks like exactly what I want.

I don't think I would need any of the extra functionality that travelmate provides. It looks like most of the extras in travelmate involve dealing with varying setups. My network would be pretty much static and never change once it's set up.

1 Like

My logic would be the following, essentially have each AP set in client mode & AP mode, [...]

I think I see what you mean, but that's not an option. I can't change the config of the "master" Wifi network. It looks like all I really need is ap+sta mode as mentioned above. I should have been able to find that in the docs, but the terminology used for stuff like this is wildly inconsistent, and most of the descriptions of Wifi "repeaters" and "extenders" are entirely free of technical content.

Sorry realised my config is AP+STA, i didnt realise you didn't have access to master router, but looking at AP+STA info the access to the main router looks unnecessary in my response as with them being on LAN instead of WAN firewall should cover it sufficiently :slight_smile:

Sorry realised my config is AP+STA, i didn't realize you didn't have access to master router, but looking at AP+STA info the access to the main router looks unnecessary in my response as with them being on LAN instead of WAN firewall should cover it sufficiently

I'm confused. To what what does "them" refer?

them being your "Client Devices" (the devices you want to be able to talk to each other), the awnser from trendy above should cover it all :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.