How to revert Engenius ENS202EXT to Factory Firmware

Hello to everyone here. When I try to flash factory image it says: "The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. Make sure that you choose the generic image format for your platform." I'm on OpenWrt 18.06.0-rc2. Thanks for your help.

Wilberto

OpenWrt has started to stores image metadata appended to the actual firmware around 17.01.x (most targets before, some later, some not yet at all) - if you need to flash a firmware without image metadata (old OpenWrt or possibly vendor firmware), you need to force the installation (sysupgrade -F|--force).

Disclaimer: I don't know if the ens202ext vendor firmware is compatible with sysupgrade, check the device's wiki page to be sure.

Engenius factory firmware distribution files tend to be weird. I think it is in two parts. It is hard to get it into a form that can be flashed from OpenWrt.

An OpenWrt "sysupgrade" for a NOR device is usually simply a byte for byte image of the flash starting after the bootloader. If you have another device of the same model still runing factory Engenius you may be able to extract a factory image from it.

Thanks for your replies. I am using openwrt firmware from easywrt.com in other engenius radios and I can go back to factory directly from the web interface. I don't know if they are doing anything special on their software, but until I'm sure, I don't want to force a sysupgrade and risk to brick the radio.

Hi, I ported ENS202EXT to the new kernel base ath79

all you need to do on the old kernel base ar71xx to revert is delete the kernel

mtd erase kernel

and reboot

this causes next boot to load the failsafe image instead

at this point you can load an OEM image at 192.168.1.1

(or you can try a snapshot of the latest version if you like)

Note: this does not apply for ath79 builds
instead you edit a u-boot environment variable to boot failsafe image next boot

fw_setenv rootfs_checksum 0