How to reduce internet speed loss?

(Translate ChatGPT) Hello everyone,
Here is my situation: Internet providers do not want to supply good internet to my part of the city, so I use Ubiquiti LiteBeam M5 wireless bridges to transmit the internet from another part of the city to my area.
The Ubiquiti LiteBeam M5 devices came to me from a previous internet provider that went bankrupt.
1 router receives an internet speed of 90 Mbps. However, only 4-15 Mbps reaches the 2nd router due to the fact that the wireless bridges are 3.6 kilometers apart.
The wireless bridges are located in an optimal signal reception area on the roof of my house and at an optimal angle for receiving the signal. One wireless bridge is at a height of 30 meters, and the other is at a height of 6 meters.
Everything that can be configured on the wireless bridges to minimize internet speed loss has already been done.
Download Master downloads files from the internet at a maximum speed of 2.5 megabytes per second when I am connected to the ASUS RT-AX53U router.
I want to minimize internet traffic losses as much as possible. Please do not suggest wireless bridge settings, as I will not consider them, and I will not install OpenWRT on them because my parents will complain, saying: "Why are you breaking everything if it works fine."
The 2nd router is an ASUS RT-AX53U with OpenWRT. The 1st router is a TP-Link AC750 Archer C20, but I am considering replacing it with a "GL-iNet Flint 2 GL-MT6000" or "Acer Predator W6" and then installing OpenWRT on it.
Is there any protocol or compression method that can be used to wrap all internet traffic for communication between routers with OpenWRT that can compress the traffic as much as possible and thus speed up the internet? Should I use different compression protocols for downloading and uploading internet traffic?
In OBS, I get a bitrate of 100kbps-1500kbps, which leads to terrible stream quality.
For "GL-iNet Flint 2 GL-MT6000" or "Acer Predator W6", I will separately consider installing Tor, I2P, Yggdrasil, Zeronet via Python, banip, adblock, and tcpdump-mini, based on my experience, making sure these programs/packages do not harm the compression of internet traffic.
Should I buy special equipment (encoder/coder/decoder) that will allow me to transmit the stream using a more economical protocol (for example, SRT or any other better protocol you can recommend) and codecs like H265 or AV1, and then send the stream in the appropriate format for Twitch.com?
(Russia lang text)
Приветствую всех.
Вот моя ситуация: Интернет-провайдеры не хотят поставлять хороший интернет в мою часть города, поэтому я использую радиомосты Ubiquiti LiteBeam M5 для передачи интернета из другой части города в мой район.
Ubiquiti LiteBeam M5 достались мне от предыдущего интернет-провайдера, который обанкротился.
1 роутер получает скорость интернета 90 Мбит/с.
Однако до 2 роутера доходит только 4-15 Мбит/с из-за того, что радиомосты находятся на расстоянии 3,6 километра друг от друга.
Радиомосты расположены в зоне оптимального приема сигнала на крыше моего дома и под оптимальным углом для приема сигнала.
Один радиомост находится на высоте 30 метров, а второй - на высоте 6 метров.
Все, что можно настроить на радиомостах для минимизации потерь скорости интернета, уже сделано.
Я хочу максимально снизить потери интернет-трафика.
Программа Download Master скачивает файлы из интернет максимум со скоростью 2,5 мегабайт в условиях когда я подключен к роутеру ASUS RT-AX53U.
Пожалуйста, не предлагайте настройки радиомостов, так как я не буду их рассматривать, и я не буду устанавливать на них OpenWRT, потому что мои родители будут жаловаться, говоря: "Зачем ты все ломаешь, если все работает нормально".
2 роутер - ASUS RT-AX53U с OpenWRT.
1 роутер - TP-Link AC750 Archer C20, но я рассматриваю возможность заменить его на "GL-iNet Flint 2 GL-MT6000" или "Acer Predator W6", а затем установить на него OpenWRT.
Может есть какой нибудь протокол или метод сжатия в который можно завернуть весь интернет-трафик для общения между роутерами с OpenWRT который сможет максимально сжать трафик и ускорить интернет таким образом?
Стоит ли использовать разные протоколы сжатия для скачивания и отдачи интернет-трафика?
В OBS я получаю битрейт 100kbps-1500kbps, что приводит к ужасному качеству потока.
Для "GL-iNet Flint 2 GL-MT6000" или "Acer Predator W6" я отдельно рассмотрю установку Tor, I2P, Yggdrasil, Zeronet через Python, banip, adblock и tcpdump-mini, исходя из своего опыта, при этом важно чтобы эти программы/пакеты не навредили сжатию интернет-трафика.
Стоит ли мне покупать специальное оборудование (энкодер/кодер/декодер), которое позволит мне передавать трансляцию с использованием более экономичного протокола (например, SRT или любого другого лучшего протокола, который вы можете порекомендовать) и кодеков H265 или AV1, а затем отправлять поток в соответствующем формате для сайта Twitch.com?

Seems radio bridges need the "distance" setting increased to be more tolerant to wifi layer ACK packet delays.

I have already tried changing these settings. However, I am afraid to change the settings on the radio bridge, not only because of possible parental complaints, but also because any changes disconnect the wireless connection. Later it turns out that both antennas of the radio bridges are missing the password for the connection. This problem occurs even when you click on the "Test" button. After restoring the password, the antennas start to see each other, but I have to constantly drive around the city to restore the connection, which is very inconvenient. Here is a picture of the LiteBeam M5 control panel:

The signal quality is not high. I assume you have fully optimized the dish pointing at both ends.

I don't know if there is a way to see the MCS number in AirMax but that will set an upper limit on transfer rate. A good actual throughput to expect (assuming no other traffic or interference) is about half of the MCS rate. These are WiFi 4 radios and also apparently operating MIMO 1x1 according to the status screen. Using other equipment that is 2x2 could potentially double the speed. For a link of this distance you want the largest dishes you can find.

There is probably no advantage to using OpenWrt over stock firmware on Ubiquiti dishes when the use case is a simple bridge.

Video streams are inherently highly compressed and applying another layer of generic data compression to them has no benefit. Deep packet inspection to identify video streams and then transcode them is not something typically done with OpenWrt, if it is possible at all.

When link speed is constrained, SQM can greatly improve usability and "pop" user experience by avoiding long pings from bloated buffers.

1 Like

I know that's the one thing you don't want to hear, but when your issue is the wireless link, then that's the thing you need to change. No layer of compression is going to help, especially since most data is already compressed nearly as much as possible and cannot be compressed any further.

There are a couple of things in terms of tuning your M5 devices you can try.

• Check the available channels. Pick a channel for your long-distance link that is not occupied at both locations.
  • Fiddle with positioning/direction.
  • Keep in mind: You have two directions, one from location 1 to location 2 and another one from location 2 to location 1. You need to optimize both, and for every direction the sending device is the one primary responsible for how much signal is going to reach its destination.
  • I guess this is a task for two people constantly communicating by phone.
2 Likes

It does look like the LiteBeam M5 23 has only a 1x1 radio. The PowerBeam 5AC 500 has 4 dB more antenna gain and also 2x2 MIMO (and 3x the price-- the LiteBeam was intended to be a budget device). At this link distance you may not actually be able to get to ac VHT-MCS but even at a WiFi 4 MCS the link would still be better. Both sides would have to be 2x2 capable of course.

My father talked to an acquaintance who knows how to set up radio bridges, and he said that replacing the radio bridge won't change anything. Knowing and understanding my parents' attitudes and views, they will resist any attempt to change the radio bridges, convincing me that the current internet works fast and well. The only way out of this situation is to live separately from my parents and move to an apartment where there is access to a 90 Mbps speed and high-quality streaming with OBS, but moving just for the internet seems foolish to me. Despite Speedtest showing speeds between 4-15 Mbps, it's sufficient for watching YouTube videos

Then you need to optimise the current link, making absolutely certain you have the best possible alignment.

Pros use dedicated hardware to do this long distance, but if you’re not going to pay for it to be configured do what is suggested above and get people at both ends, connect to the admin interface of the devices and make tiny alignment changes until you get the best signal you can with these underpowered devices

Ensure you set the Distance Optimization to 3600.