First of all: I just discovered OpenWRT and I want to extend my congratulations to the OpenWRT's developers, you guys do a really AMAZING work!!! With that said...
I own a TP-Link TL-WR841N/ND v11 Wi-Fi Router to which I recently installed the latest available (for my device) OpenWrt 18.06.9 r8077-7cbbab7246 / LuCI openwrt-18.06 branch (git-20.319.49209-ab22243). I did read the 4/32 devices warning before proceed with the installation but to be completly honest, I have not experienced any bug so far.
The thing is: I'm using my router to get the internet from a Wi-Fi as client and share that internet connection to the LAN and to a HotSpot. So good, so far. I live in Cuba, and due to US embargo laws, I can't access to dockerhub container registry
I do have access to a AWS account where I can easily start a WireGuard server and connect my router to that VPN server and then route all the traffic trough the VPN interface.
The thing is... I'm hitting the wall of the 4/32 devices, not because of the RAM but because of the space. The following picture shows a nearly fresh OpenWRT install on my router (the only new things are the root's password, the connections made to and from the Wi-Fi interface and two static DHCP leases) :
root@OpenWrt:~# df -hT Filesystem Type Size Used Available Use% Mounted on /dev/root squashfs 2.3M 2.3M 0 100% /rom tmpfs tmpfs 13.6M 1.1M 12.5M 8% /tmp /dev/mtdblock3 jffs2 320.0K 244.0K 76.0K 76% /overlay overlayfs:/overlay overlay 320.0K 244.0K 76.0K 76% / tmpfs tmpfs 512.0K 0 512.0K 0% /dev
As you can appretiate I only have 76kb of space left to use. I tried to install luci-proto-wireguard but I got:
I then tought I could install only the cli wireguard tool (
wireguard-tools), but once again I hit the space problem, it ask me for at least 115kb when I barely managed to have 60kb space free after the
So I had two ways to attack this problem:
- Remove "unnecesary" packages (as ntp server/client, and all IPv6 related stuff). I tried it but somehow I removed a necessary package and I did left my device without internet access, so I needed to Factory Reset my router. To be completly honest I did not expect this work, as I'm trying to hit the pinata blindfold and with the 2 arms tied because my knowledge about this is not as big as I tought.
- Install an older OpenWRT version, but I do not really if this is even possible
So after a really big introduction I think the real question to ask you guys is:
Is it possible to install yn a TP-Link TL-WR841N/ND v11 an older OpenWRT version that allows me:
- Preferibly have web UI.
- Allows me to connect to an internet Wi-Fi and in the same physical interface create an AccessPoint from which clients will have internet access, and of course share the internet with the LAN interfaces.
- Have the necessary space to install the wireguard client (with web UI support if possible), and allows me to route all the traffic from my clients devices trough the vpn interface.
- As security is not a concern for me I'm ok with the idea of use an older kernel in my router (current OS is using the
Thanks for your help and you guys rocks!!! Your work is really amazing!!!
PS: I did not write the post with links because the automation tools of this forum deleted me my previous post