How to install openwrt From OEM TP-Link version

Hello...
Today,i will install openWrt on my TP-Link
but... i confused to choose the firmware on openwrt.org

https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr840n

Maybe this old 8 MB flash and 64 MB RAM device is now too old for the newest kernels.

What about getting a new device?

mmm... i think i want to buy TL-MR3420 v5... how to do?

which one?

I wouldn't buy a 580 MHz single core device with again only 8 MB flash and 64 MB RAM, 100 Mbit/s Ethernet and only 802.11n in 2019. Not even used.

Why not work some hours and buy a recent mid range device with multi core ARM SoC, 32+ MB flash, 256+ MB RAM, gigabit ethernet and dual radios with 802.11ac?

dude, i still learning...
when im buy mid range device... i will burn more money when the device broken

I would then buy a device with dual boot partitions which can be unbricked via e.g. TFTP.

Release, TFTP recovery.

That's of course presuming that the model number and revision exactly match your device.

8/64 should be ok. I wouldn't recommend buying it, but if he already has it then why not?

It's much better than your existing device, so would be money waste. I suggest you try your current device first and use it for a while, then you can decide what device to get next.

oke sir.... i want to try it today

Which WR840N do you have? The V number on the label with the model number is very important as they are completely different inside. If you already own it, the V4 is still potentially useful to do some things with OpenWrt. All the others are not due to small memory size.

And yes you should not buy a MR3420V5 as it's basically a WR840NV4 with USB port. As salesmen say, spend more on a better unit now to be "future proof."

mmm... now i have TL-WR840N v4 and TL-WA801ND too...

yeah, and why not? like you're gonna host game server on it or who knows what...
unless you have gbit wan connection, those devices are still just fine

because you can get e.g.

• dual core instead of single core
  • gigabit ethernet instead of fast ethernet
  • 802.11ac (downwards compatible) instead of 802.11n
  • 128 MB flash instead of 8 MB flash
  • 256 MB RAM instead of 64 MB RAM

for about the same price range.

you forgot:

• fresh code for latest devices
  • not performance optimized
  • very likely buggy
  • etc

being in the same price range as 6-year old MIPS device already speaks for itself

If both devices run the same fresh OpenWrt version, the code has the same level of freshness.

Which performance optimzations for 6 year old single core MIPS devices with 64 MB RAM, fast ethernet and 802.11n outweigh the performance of recent dual core MIPS devices with 256 MB RAM, gigabit ethernet and 802.11ac?

Not to mention hardware acceleration support.

Yes, all devices are buggy.

youre not serios arent you? this sound like you take firmware for any device and flash it to your new multicore device...

about performance, the suggestion was in case there is no high speed wan network, wheere 80211n will suffice,

other than that this is going offtopic, so better to end discussion

I don't understand where you want to lead this discussion, but it does not seem useful to me.

So, yes, I can agree with you to end this discussion.

OEM (Original equipment manufacture)

Condition (OEM Firmware)

1. Must be install using recovery or factory firmware

Factory can Install on TP-Link Web interface
Recovery install using U-Boot or TFTP

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.