How to get public IP on wan

Hi,

I just installed openWrt on a new router D-Link DIR-878. The problem I have is with the WAN interface - it's showing wrong ip: 192.168.178... My new router is behind a provider's device which is supposed to be ruining in a bridged mode. With this IP on WAN, I can't set up the dyndns and have it accessible from outside.

Up until now I have been using openWrt on an old router: D-Link DIR-810L, which was set up by a friend (OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05.1). And on that one, WAN shows 'correct' public IP. The same one as I get, for example, here: https://whatismyipaddress.com/

So I know it is possible.

Could anybody please help me with this?
Thank you.

Have you tried editing the DDNS Advanced settings as follows if Chaos Calmer supports it?

Hi,

thanks a lot! It slowed the dyndns problem.

Still, I was able to use this:

on my old openWRT d-link, I could restart it to get a new IP, for example, and the 'correct' IP was shown there.

Post the contents of /etc/config/network from your old router. Format it within </>

I could be wrong but don't think your modem is in bridge mode without more information.

If there no bridge mode, perhaps just create a portforward rule on the ISP router to forward all udp/tcp ports 1 to 65535 to the 192.168.178.x IP address assigned to the openwrt router, or try putting it into DMZ if option exists.

2 Likes

Well, it seems that the problem was that on my providers router/modem, there was only 1 eth port that was working in a bridge mode. I had no idea it was like that so naturally, when I exchanged routers I paid no intention (apart from obvious wan port).

So for now, it seems that everything works. Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer me.

Please mark as Solved.

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.

I clicked on 'solution' a couple of time already...
I don't understand what else you want me to do?

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.