How to fix ISP redirecting to their DNS resolver

Quick background of what I have running is a 4G/LTE OpenWrt modem via an unlimited 5G data plan sim card connected to a ASUS-WRT router which broadcasts internet to the area. My receiving interface, WAN1, has its own gateway, that is provided automatically by the ISP and is causing my network to go through their DNS but I would rather have it not for obvious reasons. Previously, I ran a SOCKS5 tunnel over my iPhone's data plan and broadcasted internet throughout the area through a network I created on my mac that clients could connect to. This setup bypassed that specific issue that I am having now but I do not know how to replicate it with the setup I have now.

Any input is greatly appreciated, and I apologize in advance for I am not well versed on this topic - Thanks!

There are two possible scenarios to address: 1) is your router just using the dns supplied by the dhcp server from the isp? If so, it is easy to set another dns resolver. 2) is the isp actively redirecting/hijacking the dns requests that are destined for another public server?

These are two very different considerations, so it would be good if you can elaborate on the details.

5 Likes

In scenario 2 (from @psherman's answer above) -- install luci-app-https-dns-proxy on your router and you're done.

3 Likes

#2 in what you described is exactly what is happening.

My router does not have the luci gui, it's running on ASUSWrt - should i install OpenWrt on the router? The 4G modem is running GoldenOrb_2022-11-12

then you should direct your questions to them, until you've installed OpenWRT.

4 Likes

Ok, I installed OpenWRT 22.03.2 on the router, I will provide an update soon!

Well, I experimented with both DDWRT and OpenWrt. I installed DDWRT and my speeds increased by double straight off the jump. OpenWrt did not work because there was no wireless option in the luci gui so I could not opkg update and install hostpd and other packages for wireless. I could not figure out how to fix that OpenWrt no wireless problem.

If you've used ddwrt and Asus wrt/Merlin in the past, there's a good chance your hw is made by Broadcom, and there's a reason why their radio hw sucks with open source drivers.

2 Likes