How to enable dns transfer

i have openwrt set up on a linksys 6350v3. everything seems to be working. what changes are needed to be able to do a dns transfer to a host on the lan? if i run "dig -t axfr mynetwork" on a host on the lan i get "Transfer failed" in the router log.

@grump, welcome to the community!

:thinking: I hope you're not referring to the built-in/bundled dnsmasq software on the OpenWrt...unless you have a use case defined in its manual.

:confused: Yea, this is starting not to sound like a use case described in the manual...but...

• I assume your mynetwork is actually a FQDN, correct? :bulb:
  • Next, given your exact use case isn't clear, I can only syggest looking at all sections in the manual that begin with:

--auth-*

I've seen examples in the past to file transfer the necessary file between the main dnsmasq server and the "secondary devices" that would be easier than this. I really only suggest this setup if your device will actually be an Authoritative [Master] DNS server for a real Global domain (usually implying a network setup where the subnet on the Interface is Public IP space)...then, if that were the case, I'd advise not to using dnsmasq for that! :warning:

1 Like

What is your final goal?
Why do you need this feature?

1 Like

to have zone data transferred to my secondary bind server. so if the router is down my network still has a working dns server. i can't imagine a network with only one dns server.

1 Like

99.999% of home routers, provide 99.999% of homes with one dns server for their network...

business grade networks have design requirements internally regarding local resolution. home environments typically forego this as un-needed or superfluous with a backup router being the a much more feasible solution.

besides... zone transfers from a 'caching' server are kind of ill conceived as @lleachii mentions... anything more complex than a few pointers and you should be running a proper dnsserver implementation or revising your topology to let the caching server do what it's best at...

caching...

4 Likes

:confused: I can't imagine you don't see the big issue in your statement; but OK. Nonetheless, I reiterate the sentiments of @anon50098793 100% - as noted above.

I'd advise easier things (which make more sense to the router down scenario):

• Use a second device connected on it's LAN
  • On this second device, if so equipped/installed/running, disable/uncheck the DHCP service on LAN (if OpenWrt, you'd uncheck this)
  • Assign an IP from the main LAN
  • Assign the main router as its LAN's DNS and gateway
  • Use DHCP Option No. 6 on the main router to assign both devices to LAN clients

-AND/OR-

• Additionally script a transfer of the file between devices (this seems like what you desire)...not employing the auth method; but e.g. SCP
1 Like

See also:

1 Like

Why wouldn't you make this server the primary (or at least the one that OpenWrt forwards to)?

In my network, my OpenWrt forwards to a REAL Local Bind server (and other DNS Servers ones on WAN too); but my clients simply get 192.168.1.1 as their DNS.

Is your BIND Authoritative for another Global Zone???

Mine happens to be a slave of a real Global zone (for actual client usage); but it's not Globally Authoritative (no real NS record exists on the Internet).

2 Likes

i saw the --auth-peer and --auth-sec-servers. i finally realized that these would not work since my dnsmasq was not an authority for my domain. if the dnsmasq-full package is the solution can i install it over my current dnsmasq package without losing my config and trashing my system?

:confused:

Then why would you install it - if you admit it won't work???

(BTW, your understanding of the manual is not clear...unless you are using a real Global FQDN - and haven't answered us yet.)

EDIT:

I thought I should make this clear:

$router_down == $no_internet
$no_internet == $no_global_dns

If your router/Internet connection has less reliability than a LAN client, there's another problem.

@lleachii i think maybe you do not understand my situation. i have several computers around my property and a good amount of wifi home automation. internet connection here is not 100% reliable. a few days ago lightning struck a tree near my house and fried a few pieces of equipment. my router being one. but even without a main router or internet connection my home network kept functioning because i have a secondary dns. i bought a new router and installed openwrt. this is my first look at openwrt. i would like for opwnwrt to be authoritative for my home domain and be able to transfer this domain data to my secondary dns. i hope this helps make thing a bit clearer.

4 Likes

Install dnsmasq-full over dnsmasq - #2 by vgaetera

i installed dnsmasq-full with no problems. it reports it is compiled with auth support but i can not find the proper config options to get it to work. i have added auth-zone and auth-server to /etc/dnsmasq.conf and still no authority server. i have added auth-zone and auth-server to /etc/config/dhcp and still no authority. a little insight would go a long way to preserving my sanity.

I really don't understand the terminology "still no authority" (it has no meaning in DNS-talk...as least not as you employ the phrase) - can you clarify?

• Does this mean you cannot successfully perform an AXFR from OpenWrt to BIND?
  • Again, are you using a FQDN? (I'm not sure why you're not willing to answer this.)
  • Does your actual use case involve a situation where your DNS server is Authoritative for a real Global FQDN???
  • Does the subnet use Public Ip addresses?

You insanity may be quelled if you can answer simple (and required) questions.

EDIT:

Also, most importantly, did you run the correct command???

dig @<router_ip> -t axfr mynetwork.fqdn

3 Likes