How to Determine Real World Performance of Devices?

I'm in the process of choosing an AP that will run OpenWrt and the most notable missing piece of information when comparing different devices is the actual real world performance.

Each device is so different from the rest, it might have different CPU, different amount of RAM different WLAN chipset etc.
Is there a central place that compares performance?
in the PC world it's very common, there are literally dozens of benchmark providers such as Passmark, UserBenchmark etc that allows comparing the performance of specific components and systems using scores.

In some cases a device might have a thread and in it members of the community happen to perform a benchmark and share it - usually it's a one-to-one max-speed test with iperf, still better than nothing.

Does this kind of information exists in the table of hardware? because i couldn't find it.

It sounds like a killer feature for the community to have - you install a openwrt-benchmark package, that package identify the hardware as much as possible, runs a several tests that measure the ability to perform various tasks (single user, multiple user, with/without SQM and so on) and reports the results to a DB of benchmarks where everyone can search a device and see the performance people achieved with it.

Not very scientific, but AFAIK kernels on all platforms output BogoMips if you do a cat /proc/cpuinfo

BogoMips are not a suitable metric for anything, they're indeed bogus. Especially highend ARM routers (which are really fast) won't show any meaningful value here at all (usually in the 10-20 area), while old/ slow ones often range in the hundreds. Nowadays (high resolution-) timers are used to trigger and schedule events, therefore the BogoMips value registers whenever the timer decides that it's time - not spinning as fast as possible.

1 Like

This is the kind of benchmarking i was imagining.
it would be nice to distribute the test though