How to create a patch for hostapd.sh

Hi all,

Trying to patch hostapd.sh

• download git clone git://git.openwrt.org/openwrt/openwrt.git
  • modify: package/network/services/hostapd/files/hostapd.sh.
  • create patch file: 800-my-addition.patch
  • download openwrt-SDK
  • copy 800-my-addition.patch to openwrt-sdk/feeds/base/package/network/services/hostapd/patches directory
  • make and install packages

But I am getting this error:

Applying ./patches/800-my-addition.patch using plaintext:
can't find file to patch at input line 3
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|--- a/package/network/services/hostapd/files/hostapd.sh	(date 1551879915000)
|+++ b/package/network/services/hostapd/files/hostapd.sh	(date 1551910928000)
--------------------------
No file to patch.  Skipping patch.
1 out of 1 hunk ignored
Patch failed!  Please fix ./patches/800-my-addition.patch!

How do I fix this? What should be the path in the patch file?

The path is probably with respect to the extracted source.

quilt can be used with the OpenWrt build system. See, for example, https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-developer/patches

Hey Jeff,

I followed the steps in the in the link, both creating a new patch and adding an existing patch.

After the make/prepare command, menuconfig pops up and select hostapd, save .config and exit.
then I did: quilt push -a but it says "No series file found"

But when I do quilt new 010-main_code_fix.patch I am creating a patch for the hostapd package.

Here is the directory structure, this shows structure of hostapd

t@ubuntu:~/openwrt-sdk-18.06.2/build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/hostapd-full-internal/hostapd-2018-05-21-62566bc2$ ls
Android.mk     CONTRIBUTIONS  doc          hostapd  mac80211_hwsim  radius_example  src    wlantest  wpaspy
build_release  COPYING        eap_example  hs20     patches         README          tests  wpadebug  wpa_supplicant

I am not trying to create a patch for the package hostapd, I am trying to create a patch for the script hostapd.sh which is part of openWRT and which will be place here: /lib/netifd/hostapd.sh

Instead of the patch, do you think I should just replace hostapd.sh with my version and compile the package?

Thanks!

Ah, yes, I handle changes to the OpenWrt-distributed files with a local git branch. My apologies for sending you into the depths of quilt.

No worries, I learned something new. I didn't know about quilt. :slight_smile:

I was about to start a journey like Frodo Baggins but turned around just in time :smile:

Ok, I'll keep a git branch as well. That sounds much simpler.

Thanks

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.