How to Create a Bridge in Openwrt 22.03.5 (and later) using LuCI only

My question is how to create a bridge tying two network segments together using the LuCI (not the uci or modifying /etc/config/*). This is openwrt 22.03.5 on an x86 VM. Both segments are "hardwired," not wireless APs or the like.

What I would like to do is create one continuous network across two or more physical PCs using openwrt router VMs on both sides of the connection. I am 100% certain there are better, faster ways to accomplish this (like using a cheap dump switch), but I am trying to better understand openwrt and bridging.

I found this by searching: https://me.m01.eu/blog/2020/03/adding-a-new-vlan-to-openwrt-using-the-luci-web-ui/, the problem being that it is outdated, and while the current GUI does provide support for creating a bridge, I am finding myself somewhat confused by how it works.

Is there a more up-to-date tutorial based on the newest LuCI UI? That would be a tremendous help if available.

Go to Network -> Interfaces -> Devices tab. The. Add device configuration… of type Bridge.

2 Likes

I've been able to create the bridge and attach the subinterfaces to it, assign addresses, etc.

But I had to go with the interface for the VLANs, which I had not been doing before. This seems to have addressed much of the problem, but not all.

Now, I can ping across the bridge, but ARP requests (I can see them in tcpdump on the router) seem to be getting ignored. The router does not send ARP replies.

[EDIT] The documentation for the VLAN configuration is still in the works, which is what I was asking about.