How to connect 2 routers / Advise

Hi Everyone,

I would like to connect 2 routers, one is using LEDE (main one), second one is using OpenWRT. My problem is that I have not been able to understand the whole picture.

I will be connecting devices on the OpenWRT, however, main firewall and VPN will be LEDE.

Can anyone offer and advise or a tutorial?

Cheers
Colombian

Hey there.

I'm to busy to search for documentation or tutorials right now, but I guess you want to configure your OpenWRT device as "dumb AP" and create a "vlan trunk" connection between your routers. The ports on both sides should have all the vlans you want to distribute as "tagged".
You should be able to do some wiki search based on that information.

Regards,
Stephan.

If you only have one network you can use a simple wired (without VLANs) or AP(WDS) wireless connection. If you are going to have a guest network for example, you can put VLANs on the cable, or gre tunnel the guest network through your lan. I like the tunnel method since it extends seamlessly to wireless links that don't support VLAN.

Dumb AP
https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/dumbap

Guest AP on the main router
https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/guest-wlan?s[]=guest&s[]=ap

Guest AP on the AP (standalone, no VLAN)
https://blog.doenselmann.com/gaeste-wlan-auf-openwrt-access-point/

2 Likes

@Colombian1976 - can you describe what you are hoping to achieve with the 2 routers? What devices are you using? And is there a reason you want to use 2 routers instead of just one? Also is there any particular reason you'll be using LEDE on one unit and OpenWRT on the other?

The others have provided some good info and links/tutorials, but the community can probably be more helpful if you can describe your specific network needs and/or problems (or what it is that you are confused about).

1 Like

Hey mate,

Thanks for your reply. Let me answer your questions

Let me try to explain it, I would like to configure VPN and a Firewall using the LEDE router. (TP-LINK WDR4300). and use the second one (WRT54GL) to connect a few other devices. It would it be perfect if my ISP allows me to replace their router with the WDR4300, but that is something I still need to to talk to them.

I know that I can do all of that with just LEDE, but I just want to go through the exercise and learn mate. I know the basics of Networking but never configured a VPN or a Firewall from the ground up.

I have OpenWRT on the WRT54GL because it was my first router, and at the time I decided to install OpenWRT. not other reason really.

Cheers
Colombian

You need to address the issue with your ISP before proceeding.

If you need their router, then understanding the hardware and firmware capability is very relevant.

If you can omit their device, then the WDR4300 is pretty much all you need to configure. The "Dumb AP" hangs of the LAN of the WDR4300 (literally) by a cable, and can pretty much be set up independently at any time. I suggest ignoring a guest LAN until all else is done.

WRT54GL hardware is not compatible with LEDE due to the small RAM. Leave the older version of OpenWrt on it, that can do what you need.

@Colombian1976

+1 to the advice from @RangerZ and @mk24. First make sure that you can use the LEDE router in the first place. In the US with some of the ISPs, it is sometimes as simple as just rebooting the modem and/or releasing the DHCP IP address before swapping the routers. Other ISPs and other places may operate differently, so it makes sense to check in with them first.

Once you have the basic LEDE setup running as your primary router, you can start to experiment. Keep in mind that if this is your primary router, you should be prepared to be offline from time to time if you mess things up and need to reset and/or if you are making changes that requires restarting.

Your WDR4300 should be able to do everything you need (you may need to run an extroot to give you enough space for everything).

You may not need the WRT54GL at all unless you have a specific reason to use it (such as older b/g devices that you want to keep off the main wifi, maybe?). But yes, leave it as OpenWRT and then you can set it up for a specific use case if you need it in the end.

The only reason to use two routers would be if the wifi coverage area is not sufficient with just one. Then you can set a second one as a "dumb AP" at the other side of the house to fill in.

@Colombian1976 What type of Internet service do you have? DSL, cable, or fiber?

Hello mate,

I got NBN, and WDR4300 is not a Modem/Router one. though it says NBN ready, so trying to get my head around it. ISP is OK to provide password and username,

Cheers
Colombian

Hey mate

Thank you for your reply, well, confirmed that ISP (Australia) is OK to provide username/pass to change current modem/router to WDR4300. I have NBN, so still trying to understand why on the WDR4300 says NBN ready , while all looks like it needs a router/modem combo solution

Cheers
Colombian

it looks like NBN uses several different connection technologies depending on the infrastructure available at the customer's location.
http://www.nbnco.com.au/learn-about-the-nbn/network-technology.html
The modem may connect to the network by fiber, copper VDSL / ADSL, or coaxial cable (or in remote unwired locations, by terrestrial wireless or satellite). Generally you can continue to use their "modem" but turn off any of its internal routing and wifi features. This is called a "bridge" configuration. Then connect an Ethernet router such as the WDR4300 WAN port to the modem. Your router sees the Internet directly for both outgoing and incoming traffic. The company's modem is still in use, but serves as a media signal converter and little more. With a fiber or DSL connection, your router logs onto the network using pppoe. This requires entering the username and password into the router instead of the modem.

So, just about any router is "NBN Ready" but it is a marketing thing to announce it on the box.

Thanks for that mate, I will request the ISP password and username so I can configure pppoe on the WDR4300.