Orange link aggregation or hack with spf+, renamed topic due to outcome

Not possible with this hardware, while you physically have 2 CPU ports (you'd need 4!), DSA can currently only use one of them, shared between WAN and LAN. Personally, I'd also skip the QHora 301W for an x86_64 based router.

just a remark, your max transfer speed will still be 1gbit, you'll however be able to do two 1gbit transfers simultaneously.

get a 2.5gbe device.

Orange does not have 2.5gbe in offer yet.
If you have suggestion for fiber ont and how to configure it to work with orange i am listening.
If not lets stick low hanging fruit which is to have capability for 2 1gbit downloads simultaneously :slight_smile:

you're missing the point.

there are no 2gbit ports, you'll need a device with 2,5gbit ports (or better), capable for routing at those speeds.

I agree with @slh, go for some cheap x86.

I do have devices 2.5gb capable including switch, linksys is going to be replaced but before spending money i would like to have clear upgrade path.

Which starts from link aggregation.

that's why x86 was recommended, either a device already using 2.5gbit ports, or something where those ports can be added later.

I think you need a device that has at least 2 real ethernet interfaces, or if using a switch, you need the CPU to be connected to the switch with >= 2 Gbps as well... (if the CPU port would run at e.g. 2.5 or preferably 5 Gbps, the fact that there is only a single CPU port would not matter that much).
There are x86 devices available that do not use switches, but simply have a number of individual NICs, with such a router link aggregation might work, but you still need two ports to connect to the funbox 6 and two ports to the downstream devices (unless your router handles all downloads).

I think the easiest solution is to opt for a router with sufficiently fast interfaces. Personally, I would simply skip that 2 Gbps plan for now, but then I do not download all that much so might not have the urgency to reduce download time...

We drift from subject but that simplified schema of my network. How do I handle it with x86 machine as main router?

Do i have to buy 2 additional access points for it?

You can use 2*1Gbps NICs aggregated to the funbox and a 2,5Gbps NIC to the switch.

Not necessarily, you can have multiple SSIDs from one AP. You can use more than one AP if the coverage is not enough or there are many clients.

as any other wired only router.

I would, or put the guest and IoT LANs on the 2.4GHz wifi, and your own stuff on the 5GHz wifi.

Could you guys recommend x86 so can check parameters and do calculation?

links taken from 2gig suggestions

not necessarily available/cheap in your region.

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005004621468205.html

https://www.amazon.com/MOGINSOK-Ethernet-Firewall-Appliance-Celeron/dp/B09WYQKHZV

Not sure the R5S is is officially supported by openwrt yet.

I'd go the uSFF way, get a used workstation, add a dual or quad port 2.5GbE NIC.

1 Like

This dev board look like solution to me it has enough lan ports and can plug to it wifi mlan modules so from my understanding can literally do router like setup.

sure,

except, it won't be cheap (mobo, nor radios), and any 2nd hand router would run laps around a DIY solution like that, wifi wise.

run laps around a DIY solution like that.

In terms of wifi speed only?

in terms of quality, and stability.

If you have to choose between a dedicated wifi device ( router / AP ) and a DIY solution, you should "always" go for the 1st one.
then there's the price, some old router / AP will always be cheaper than an m.2 or mPCIe radio + pigtails + antennas.

Thanks for help.

After a lot of digging most suitable solution is to go with mikrotik https://mikrotik.com/product/rb5009ug_s_in

According to this thread with spf its possible to connect directly with fiber and one 2.5gb/s its bare minimum for next couple of years. (page 375)

This device is not officially supported by OpenWrt yet, while the development is far enough to make it 'work', it's Mikrotik is making it really hard to do so - x86_64 would be an easier road.

I am thinking about router os way. OpenWrt has the best user experience but this solution is proven working according to forum. Don’t know if something like this can be achieved with Banan Pi BPI-R3.

A used Lenovo M800 SFF (skylake) PC (i3 suffices) starts around 50 EUR/ USD, ~16-18 watts idle. Add in two low-profile 2.5GBASE-T cards for 20-25 EUR/ USD each (RTL8125/ RTL8125B); ~100 bucks each, if you want to go 10GBASE-T (Aquantia based). RAM- and main storage sizes don't matter (much).

Gives you the performance, no excuses, no questions asked, for a reasonable price - and at an okay'ish power consumption (other x86_64 hardware might get you down another 5-6 watts).

Other vendors exist and may even provide better results, this is just the one I have idle power consumption measurements for at hand.

1 Like