How to configure internet (ISP) via LAN

Thanks for reply!!

I'm working on OpenWRT from last 6 months. As I have created Wifi Client Mode as well as Access Point mode. now I want to use internet via LAN as well as using Wifi Access point.

Here the problem is , OpenWRT is having single LAN interface and Wifi Interface. Then, how to create WAN interface for internet configuration (ISP)? . After that I want to route that internet to the clients (LAN and Wifi Access Point).

Hope you can understand my issue.

@thanaraj.s - there's still a lot more we (the community) will need to know in order to help point you in the right direction. Things such as:

1. What device are you using?
  2. What version of LEDE or OpenWRT is installed on your router? (if you're using a stable release, it will usually be a bit easier than if you've got a snapshot)
  3. What did you do when you set up the router initially (sounds like you may have gone with the 'dumb AP' type configuration)?
  4. What kind of internet connection do you have? Does it require PPPoE or DHCP or Static IP to be setup (to connect to your ISP).

A good place to start is usually to do a full reset to defaults. In many cases, the router will have a default configuration that is suitable for the average internet connection. Wifi will be disabled by default (for security), but you can usually quickly setup wifi and get up and running quickly. But at the very least, you will be starting from a known configuration and it is much more likely you can get relevant advice at that point.

Hi psherman,

Below are the information's,

1. Raspberry Pi 3 Model B v1.2
  2. Chaos Calmer 15.05.1
  3. Router UI Menu -> Network -> Wireless , Configured ssid and mode (Access Point). Then save and apply. Finally enabled the Wifi.
  4. PPPoE

Thanks

You have a couple of options here for connecting to internet.

1. If you have a main router, just connect to that router through LAN cable or Wi-Fi and then create a new interface in Network -> Interfaces and assign PPPoE protocol to it and add username/password and then in Physical Settings assign the port you want to connect through, for example for Wi-Fi it will be the Wi-Fi port (from where you are connecting to main router) and if using LAN cable then it will be the relevant vlan or WAN port.

2. If using USB to connect a dongle, then you will probably need its drivers etc to connect it and then in interfaces check the whether there is an interface and if not then create one and assign the USB port and modify protocol to PPPoE and edit username/password etc.

For more information, on how to do specific things, search the documentation.

Do you plan to use the RPi 3B as your main internet router, or are you just trying to connect it to the internet?

Meanwhile, you should really upgrade to the latest revision of OpenWRT. Right now, LEDE 17.01.4 is the latest official stable release, but OpenWRT 18.06.0rc1 is available now with stable 18.06.0 slated to be released in the next week (LEDE was a branch from OpenWRT, and has since been re-merged, thus the changes in the naming). I'd recommend going ahead with 18.06 now (using RC1) or waiting until final stable is released shortly.

As far as a understand your sentence you want to connect RasPi via LAN-cable to the Internet an furthermore other (client) via LAN-cable ,too ?
How should this work ? Putting 2 cables in one Port ?

If this is not the case it would be very helpfull if you could give a detaild setup of what hardware you have / which ISP with what kind of internetconnection / Hardware your ISP porvided to you / .....

Hi Psherman,

Thanks for reply!!

Sure!.. We will upgrade to latest version.
I have planned to use RPi 3B as a Main Internet Router. Could you please help me on this?

Regards,
Thanaraj

Check out the s thread on raspberry pi forums.

It uses eth0 as wan and sets wireless as lan.

Hi Psherman,

As you said, I changed eth0 as wan and wireless as lan. But here we have RJ11 internet cable. But our RPi 3B supports RJ45. We have tried to connect using PPPoE configuration. But the interface is not connected. please help me on this?

Thanks

The Pi does not have ADSL / VDSL hardware to receive the signal direct from the phone company.

You will need a separate modem to receive the DSL signal from the incoming line and convert it to Ethernet, then connect the modem to the Pi. Often this can be done by placing the modem you were provided by the company into bridge mode, bypassing its higher level routing functions.

Can you please suggest the modem, which supports OpenWRT?

And also I'm not aware on this hardware.

Thanks

@thanaraj.s - I am not sure that using OpenWRT as your main internet router is the best solution for you. It may be easiest and most trouble-free to continue using the equipment provided by your ISP so that you can have a reliable internet connection while you learn about OpenWRT and other networking concepts. This will ensure that you can get tech support from your ISP if/when there is a problem with their equipment, too (they will likely not help you with OpenWRT issues and you could be off-line for a while trying to fix it yourself).

You can, and still should, learn about OpenWRT and networking in general -- you can connect your RPi with OpenWRT as another router behind your main router and play with the configurations until you feel comfortable venturing out on your own (and you can ask specific questions in these forums, too). You should read up on the differences between DSL and Ethernet, how NAT routers work, DNS and the architecture of the internet, and the underlying TCP/IP protocol stack. Maybe even VLANs and VPNs, if you're interested in those, too. It will give you the confidence in the fundamentals so that you can feel comfortable switching over to OpenWRT and troubleshooting your own network.

As I understand it there may be several problems. I had all of them when configuring my network.

1. Your router may be linked with your ISP through MAC address. I changed it in my ISP online account.
  2. You need to change the LAN IP on your secondary routers if you have them. For instance, your main may have 192.168.1.1, so your secondary should have 193.168.1.1
    Hope that helps.

It is done in interface menu, lan>edit.
Also your ISP may have static configuration so call them and ask if the router is attached through MAC or static setup. If it’s MAC address provide them WAN MAC address.

Also setup openvpn for security. I made my comprehensive guide for nordvpn https://www.reddit.com/r/nordvpn/comments/8wnf66/the_complete_guide_on_how_to_setup_nordvpn/

@vitowvn - From what I can tell, the OP's issues were unrelated to yours -- no problem with MAC, but rather the fact that the OP has a DSL connection and was trying to connect without a modem to the Raspberry Pi (a modem is required) and was having difficulty with the general network configuration. Further, the OP does not (yet) ask for OpenVPN or any other such packages, so it is not necessary to offer that guide in this thread.

1 Like

Hi Psherman,

Thank you!!

As per your input (lan->wan, wireless->lan), we have configured Static ISP to wan. It was working fine and i'm able to route the internet to wireless clients. But we couldn't use mobile company cables (DSL), because we don't have in Raspberry Pi. Now it's all fine.

Now the LAN port is not available for LAN wired connection. Only possible via wireless. So, is that possible to create one more LAN interface in Openwrt (like USB to Ethernet)?

Please give me some tips on this !!!

You can add a USB ethernet adapter as either WAN or a LAN port -- there are a bunch supported by OpenWRT. But I don't have any experience with these personally, so you will need to get advice from others about the best adapters to use.

Oh!!...

Anyone suggest best USB Ethernet adapter for OpenWRT?

Before you spend more time and money on a Raspberry Pi-based approach, what is the bandwidth you get from your ISP?

A Raspberry Pi is very limited in its USB and Ethernet throughput by its hardware design. You will be lucky to get more than a couple hundred kbps through it as a router. The 3B+ using a GigE chip doesn't change the fact that the bottleneck is how it is connected to the SoC.

If you have more than, say, 100 Mbps service, I'd strongly recommend an inexpensive router over tossing cash at the dongle-Raspberry Pi approach. Competent, current routers can often be had for US$20 or less for single-band and not much more than that for dual-band, such as those discussed in the long thread

The ASIX AX88179 chipset seems to be well supported by Linux-based operating systems. They are available is a slew of USB 3.0 GigE dongles, typically US$12-15 from one of the recognized-name manufacturers.

1 Like