How to change recommended DNS server?

Hello pros of Lede Project!

After a tonn of problems with internet I tried to "speed up" it a little bit. But instead of casual 30-70% namebench had found DNS that is 2335.8% faster than the current one is. That is, kinda, too much, I think. So I want to try it out and make some changes. But I do not understand anything in this topic and how should I change DNS servers in router settings. Looks like I need to make a list of 3 best servers for me, but how?

It would be pretty kind of you if you link any guides to make this happen. I'll answer any questions as soon as I can.
(and sorry for any english mistakes in advance)
Thx for attention.

I mean I tried to do this:
"Reboot the router. You should now have internet access. If it doesn't work, edit LAN interface and add custom DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Go also to Network - DHCP and DNS and add DNS forwardings to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4." (except instead of those servers I have others, there is 3 of them.)

if you want to stop using your isp's dns-servers you would go /cgi-bin/luci/admin/network/network/wan and untick Use DNS servers advertised by peer as well as adding server=... in dhcp/dns settings.

this should only be necessary if your isp messes with your traffic or has very bad dns-infrastructure.

most isp have "not tampered with" set's of dns-servers.
try searching for something like "isp-name dns server ip"
or ask cutomer support for a way to opt-out of any "dns-security".

note: google dns is an example, not a recommendation. a workaround, not a fix.
besides beeing an obvious complete privacy disaster, it will not prevent your your isp (or anyone) from messing with your dns-requests.

Thank you for reply, fuller.

Let me clear this out.

As I understood there are many different data routes to every resource on the internet. Um.. I do not know how DNS-servers, actually, affect my speed of searching the internet.

As you told me isp won't mess with my DNS requests, but can it be that they have them not optimized for me? Namebench found DNS-servers that are 2000+% faster, but how?

As you mentioned there is also a possibility of data security leak on this "fast" DNS servers, that's what you meant? Is there any way to make sure that is true?

I have this DNS server as absolute best for me:
SYS-10.110.22.1 - 10.110.22.1
And 2 others that are pretty close in speed to this one. I couldn't find option Use DNS servers advertised by peer in network settings. If that helps somehow I use Powered by LuCI lede-17.01 branch (git-17.051.53299-a100738). I tried to do that with GUI, or should I have done that with Putty command line? (and I'm not sure how it works..)

Actually, maybe this is some kind of an error. Is it normal that I have 192.168.1.1 in the list of best DNS servers?

Oh.. Maybe that means that router uses best DNS server by default (or whoever chooses it). Then... Everything is ok and my internet just sucks :smiley:

Network=>Interfaces=>WAN=>Advanced Settings tab
Here you will find the "Use DNS servers advertised by peer". If you uncheck this it will open the "Use custom DNS Servers" box where you can enter the DNS servers of your choice.

1 Like

Through this:

uci set network.wan.peerdns='0'
uci del network.wan.dns
uci add_list network.wan.dns='9.9.9.9'
uci add_list network.wan.dns='149.112.112.112'
uci commit

I thought I would change the DNS. But when I look at Network / DHCP and DNS /
DNS forwardings says

127.0.0.1#5353
/pool.ntp.org/8.8.8.8

Is this correct?