How to capture OEM bootlog?

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to capture the OEM bootlog of a router. I typically see the bootlogs posted on the device pages, and was wondering if there is an easy way to record/copy the bootlog since I'm looking to add support for a new device. Thanks in advance.

Typically via a serial console connection (which you will need for testing your porting anyways).

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarification, may I know how I'd go about doing that via the serial console? As in once the boot process starts and the splash screen shows the boot log, I assume I could record it via a camera and type it out line by line. However, is there an easier way to automate the process perhaps? Or some file which captures this?

This is a joke?

The same software (maybe PuTTY or similar) you use to connect via an IP address can also normally use an old fashioned serial cable from the PC to a set of pins on the PCB of the router.

Like this: https://openwrt.org/docs/techref/hardware/port.serial.cables

2 Likes

Personally I think you will struggle with this developer level of tech with the use of serial ports, soldering, coding etc.

But to solve your actual problem instead of using your idea of 1950’s technology to capture the logs I usually use the digital era of the copy and paste method.

Big warning here! RS-232 do NOT! use 3,3V TTL signal levels which (4-pin if you count the Vcc pin) is the normal signal for most routers that has a 3-pin connection on the circuitboard and doesn’t have a ready to use console connector.
RS-232 use differential 15V signal levels and control signals.

3 Likes

Hey guys, that was a joke of course, but I'm still wondering how I'd do it. For instance, once I got the ttl connection, do I just copy paste the output on the screen? I've never done it before, hence the question.

Also, regarding the USB to TTL connection, I have this exact chip. Would this work to set up the TTL connection? As I understand it, it supports both 5V and 3.3V.

That chip works, I have that my self but in cable form.

The most common thing I have found with terminals and putty is that ctrl-c/v almost never work.
You have to mark the text as usual and use right click and choose option.
But in PuTTy to copy the text you have marked you just mark the text with the mouse. When you release the mouse button it is automatically copied.

Please note the the line ending problem if you use a Windows computer to copy text to a linux device!

2 Likes

In PuTTY you can start a log of the text to a file. It's in the session settings.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.