How to block icmp packets bridged interfaces member eth1

I have br-lan interface with members eth0 and eth1.
I am trying to filter and forward some specific traffics from bridge to another interfaces like tun or tap
eth0 is WAN
eth1 is LAN
i wan to block icmp request coming from LAN to WAN on eth1
and there is a problem like below . Any help would be appreciated.

root@alfa:~# iptables -A FORWARD -m physdev --physdev-in eth1 --physdev-out eth0 -p icmp -j REJECT
[ 2752.462243] xt_physdev: using --physdev-out and --physdev-is-out are only supported in the FORWARD and POSTROUTING chains with bridged traffic.
[ 2752.475265] xt_physdev: using --physdev-out and --physdev-is-out are only supported in the FORWARD and POSTROUTING chains with bridged traffic.
root@alfa:~#

You can't use "iptables" for this: once you bridge the interfaces, traffic flows through a lower layer, and you need to use "ebtables" instead.

2 Likes

Moreover:

why did you bridge them in the first place?

1 Like

sorry for late reply but actually it worked for me although this warn . So now i cannot ping from eth0 to eth1 and eth1 to eth0 .
[ 2752.462243] xt_physdev: using --physdev-out and --physdev-is-out are only supported in the FORWARD and POSTROUTING chains with bridged traffic.

root@orangepi-r1:/# iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination         

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
REJECT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere             PHYSDEV match --physdev-in eth1 --physdev-out eth0 reject-with icmp-port-unreachable

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
root@orangepi-r1:/# ping 192.168.57.1
**PING 192.168.57.1 (192.168.57.1): 56 data bytes**

my network config

config interface 'lan'
        option type 'bridge'
        option ifname 'eth1 eth0'
        option proto 'dhcp'
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.