How to add cipher:none and macs:hmac-md5-96 to dropbear?

Hi
I setup rsync to sync a windows folder with my openwrt. These are video files exported from my desktop typically of 1.6GB that I want access over minidlna on openwrt. It defaults to using ssh. On the internal wired LAN the ssh overhead means the achieved throughput is only about 16-17mbps on a 1Gbps switch with dropbear ssh running at 82% on an Netgear WNDR3700. Since this is an internal home network behind a double-NAT, I dont care about SSH security and want to get rid of the SSH overhead to speed up file transfer.

I tried this command:
rsync --rsh=rsh -aiPv ...<snip>

But it seems dropbear ssh is still utilized with high cpu because there is no rsh on openwrt by default. Google does not return any results for rsh-server on openwrt. a few ip-accounting packages for openwrt seem to support rsh client ony.

Is it possible to compile in support for ciphers : none and macs : hmac-md5-96 using image builder? These seem to be the least overhead options with ssh. What files do I need to change in the dropbear package?

For example If I try this I get

$>ssh user@192.168.1.1 -c blowfish -m hmac-md5-96
Unknown cipher type 'blowfish'

PS: I am already using a custom image created with imagebuilder - just want instructions to modify the source files and compile it as a custom package.

Edit: Found this dropbear: Use macro to set options to set runtime options but no clear instructions how to set it - for example to test blowfish?

Thanks

1 Like

This would be better suited to samba4/ ksmbd, maybe even plain ftp - weakening ssh is not a solution.

I already moved to samba36-server. I had to enable the legacy SMB support in win 10 in order for it to find the openwrt shares. The choice I had to make was either weaken an already notorious and vulnerable platform (Windows) or the SSH on my openwrt. Hence I was gunning for the latter.

KSMBD/WSDD2 was a good find from this post - In weeks of browsing for Samba and WSDD port to openwrt this package never came up in the google search results!. Literally left me head scratching why the OpenWRT community was not discussing it. Perhaps it needs to be advertised better or louder with some postings to other Linux discussion threads so that search engines can pick it up...

Look like I can disable the legacy SMB in Win 10 again - once I roll WSDD2 into the custom build.

Thanks!

1 Like