How many IoT devices is too many?

It seems once someone has decided they want IoT devices, they go all in and I'm currently looking at a mere 15 devices or so being added to the network, but there rumors floating around that this number could become much higher.

This is being served by a Linksys WRT3200ACM and I'm just wondering if there is any point where things may start to have issues, such as latency-sensitive applications or higher bit-rate streams that all the cool kids are doing.

It's like booze. One IoT device isn't enough; two is too many.

As for bandwidth requirements, it all depends on what those IoS, er, I mean IoT devices are doing. Here I have a couple of light bulbs and five plugs all with Tasmota, and their bandwidth requirements are negligible. A tiny amount of telemetry data every 10 seconds (default is 300 seconds, lowest possible is 10 seconds), along with the occasional command and acknowledgement.

Do you have access to spec sheets for those devices or their software, which may help you to calculate bandwidth needs?

2 Likes

I'll have to check, but mostly I'm thinking about the olden days when WiFi would get crippled merely by too many devices, but it seems like tech has improved since ye olde WRT54GL, lol.

1 Like

The Linksys WRT3200ACM is notorious for having trouble with IoT devices based on the ESP8266 chip. You may have to configure the third radio, or buy an external AP.

3 Likes

My life with the WRT3200ACM got so much easier when disabling all the internal radios and mounted a business class AP on the wall instead.

How do I configure the third radio? When I first configured it I tried to get more than one radio to function, but it was unstable would seem to randomly select one radio after reboot, so I disabled all but one radio.

The first radio works in the 5Ghz band, the second one in the 2.4Ghz band... do you have just one of them working? That is some serious issue, I would try to fix that before trying to use the third radio.

1 Like