How does this uci command influence the firewall?

dear community,

i need your help interpreting a specific uci command.

here's some information about my situation: i successfully installed the latest version of openwrt on a d-link dwr-921 lte router. just like the documentation says, i then used the following uci commands to activate the integrated lte modem:

uci set network.wwan=interface
uci set network.wwan.proto='wwan'
uci set network.wwan.apn=''
uci set network.wwan.pincode=''
uci set network.wwan.auto='0'
uci commit network

uci set firewall.@zone[1].network='wan wwan wan6'
uci commit firewall

these commands made the router work correctly. however, i would like to know what the command
exactly does to the firewall.

i was advised that changing the preconfiguration of openwrt's firewall should only be done by an experienced user (which i am not yet) and that the average user should be fine with the default settings. nevertheless, these steps were neccessary to make the router work.

so my questions are: in how far does the command
modify the preoconfigured firewall? does it even do so? and if yes, is the firewall now "less secure" than it would be without these commands?

thank you

It merely adds the new wwan (wireless WAN) network to the wan zone. This is secure, since wan is the untrusted (Internet facing) side of the firewall.

3 Likes

can you tell me how did you use these uci commands in which software command formmat

Check out the official documentation and examples:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.