How do I import a DNS zone file?

Ok, So, I have 2 test servers, both running Windows Server 2016. I have one setup as a domain controller. I am unable to connect the second DC, as the DNS records aren’t present on my OpenWRT router.

Also, I get the impression that DNSMASQ isn’t going to work very well for this, but I could be wrong. I see that I can install unbound, which has a Luci interface, or bind, which does not. What are my options here?

FWIW, I didn’t install the DNS role on my server, as I would prefer to use my OpenWRT box. Btw, I’m using a Netgear R7900 box as my OpenWRT hardware, in case it makes any difference.

I don’t expect I’ll need it, but I also have an old NetGate APU 1D4, with 4 GB RAM onboard, and a 32 GB mSATA ssd. Perhaps I can throw OpnSense on it or something, if I can’t get anything else working?

The DNS zone records, are mostly SRV records, with a few A and a handful of TXT records.

Apologies, I’m thinking out loud.

Let me know if you need me to submit a portion of the file in question, to better understand the type/contents of said file.

—Aaron

If you're running domain controllers then run the DNS servers on them. It's far less hassle. I use my windows servers for DHCP as well, but you could leave that to OpenWRT. Just add the IP addresses of the windows servers as DHCP options for DNS.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, that’s not an option for me. This is my “crash course in server setup” machine, not a production server. (Why else would the second server be running in a VM?). Even when the ambient indoor temperature is 75 degrees Fahrenheit, the system screams like a banshee. It is in my living room, and the outdoor temp has been around 100 degrees for the past 6 weeks here in Southern California. The indoor temp gets to be 82 inside easily.

Needless to say, the bare metal server and its VM don’t stay on for more than an hour maximum. A DNS server needs to be on 24/7, so DNS will need to stay on my OpenWRT box.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already considered it.

By the way, I might not be on these forums much, but I am no slouch with Linux. I’ve been using it since the late 90’s - before RH Fedora, Ubuntu, and Mint, etc. Linux were even around. I don’t use it exclusively, though. I’m always trying to learn something new. Today, it is DNS setup and configuration...

So does a domain server. There's a reason it kicks up a fuss about installing the DNS role at the same time. Whether rightly or wrongly Windows domain server is very tightly integrated with Windows DNS server. You can try separating them but you will end up facing multiple issues of various sorts down the line.

2 Likes

Hmm. Good point. I may just have to do that. Now that I think about it, my server is connected behind a second OpenWRT router, not the main one. My original intention was to bridge everything together, and use DHCP on the main router, but after 3 attempts and 3 times having to connect a Raspberry Pi to the serial terminal to unbrick the router, I gave up and setup NAT. My Server, my desktop, and my Laptop docking station are all connected to the same OpenWRT “repeater”. I’m certain that I could set the DHCP Server there to point DNS to my Windows server machine without much trouble.

I’m starting to suspect you actually know about this stuff... :crazy_face: