How do GL-iNet devices become supported by official OpenWrt releases?

I don't think this is the right thread for that question. But, based on the lack of Git commits referencing the MT2500 and the lack of data on the the router's TechData wiki page, probably not.

1 Like

Not exactly what I wanted to hear :frowning_face:
Thanks for your reply

To be honest for wired router there are NanoPi R4S, and/or some Orange Pi stuff that are more powerful (MT2500 has 2.5G port but it's only 1 port, you won't get much benefits from it), after getting the R4S I never think about the MT2500.

I bought a MT2500A for 50€.
The performance is enough for me, but the stock firmware sucks.
Without vanilla OpenWRT support I will sell the MT2500A

There are multiple MediaTek MT7986A devices now supported by OpenWrt. Support for the MT7981A SOC (used in the MT2500) was merged to Linux at the same time as the related MT7986A, so support is possible. You can either create a patch yourself or find an interested developer.

This may be an unsolicited opinion, but honestly all the issues with these otherwise powerful mini-routers hamstrung by poorly supported proprietary SoCs is why I just went x86. Sure, it uses a bit more power (negligible if you choose your parts carefully), but the compatibility (not to mention expandability) is infinitely better.

I'm working on support for the MT2500, for now still struggling with getting the stock bootloader to start my image (so we won't have to replace U-Boot and can keep the stock loader just like for the MT3000).

Driver support for the MT7981 is not the problem, Ethernet (incl. hardware NAT/flow offloading) and Wi-Fi (also incl. WED offloading just like on MT7986) all work very well, all at a fraction of the power consumption of a similarly capable x86 box.

The MT2500 is an interesting case because it uses an eMMC and we do not yet support nvmem-cells for MAC addresses (and on other devices also Wi-Fi calibration) to be located on an eMMC partition. I'm working on getting that supported in upstream Linux, see

9 Likes

Thank you for your feedback on the current state of development.
I would like to help, unfortunately I have no idea of the matter.

Intel cards do not support AP mode, at all (at least not within the 5 GHz band).

Thank you :crossed_fingers:

Oeh nice! Was wondering if this device was supported (with Hardware offloading) or not :slight_smile: Hopefully some good news in the near future!

I've an opportunty to pick up one of these, GL.iNet GL-SFT1200 AC1200, for £20... I want OpenWrt... so reading this thread with interest.

My gut tells me to move on and keep looking for that budget gem thats going to solve my WiFi coverage issue... but just in case, any update on that "maybe in the near future" statement?

I wouldn't even be optimistic about the distant future, but 'near future' can be ruled out completely.

1 Like

so in the future will be put out of support ?

it'll most likely never be suported.

what good pocket router is recommended for openwrt? i got the902ac will be ruled out too? like my mr 3420 v5 i am looking for a better alternative as my roardunner pocket router

GL.iNet GL-MT3000 (Beryl AX)
(OpenWrt Target: mediatek/filogic)

The MT3000 currently costs $80 at gl.inet.

thats a lot

Does that Aircove Go look mighty similar to anyone?

1 Like