How can we make the lantiq xrx200 devices faster

AFAIK No, I have a buggy TD-W8970 v1 it's not my main device since it crashes sometimes but I still use it to learn linux/opwenwrt stuffs. Your eth drivers helped with the stability problems :smile:

Well I am not receiving mailing list as of now but I can subscribe if need to. How should I subscribe to it, do you have a link? I'll gladly post the related benchmarks but I will not have any old benchmarks though and devs will need to rely on my word for that. I can also post generic results from samba4 and loadavg for the router. That should be enough for now.

Probably by this form. Or you can send me your email (in PM or my mail from wave300 git) and I will CC you.

@Plonk34

Could you share your newest image and knowledge about the situation with Easybox 904 atm? It looks like that there is unfortunately still no official support and community for this really nice device (in my eyes). Unfortunately the hint for BT Hub 5a wasn't as good as I expected since it's still a pain in the ass to update this device easiely. It seems to be very complex and also there is still the problem about the througput that is below 80 MBit/s from WAN <-> LAN and also LAN <-> Wifi seems to be a bit slow. - Does Software offloading NAT also increase the LAN <-> Wifi Speed in general or is that just something for WAN <-> LAN?

@ahmar16 and others:

Would you please also share informations about how to use HH5A or EB904 with high performance on every interface?

I dont have a high-end internet to test the WAN to LAN but I am actually happy with the LAN to clients including LAN to WIFI. I think I have provided much information about this above. If you need something else you can ask.

@suppenkasper0815
now see the Easybox 904 thread
I 100% agree with you but QAuge are the developer
see:

and this:

May I simply flash your image of the thread from my openwrt version via TFTP boot method with your provided version?

I think it could be a faulty flash that's causing crashes. There's a thread here with the same crashing issues and the OP there solved it with a ExtRoot but you’ll need to copy both /rom and /overlay to ExtRoot and it shouldn't cause crashes afterwards. There are two commands to setup the ExtRoot this way instead of one as in documentation.

# mount the usb drive
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
mkdir /mnt/upper

tar -C /rom -cvf - . | tar -C /mnt/upper -xf -
tar -C /overlay -cvf - . | tar -C /mnt -xf -
# do the above two commands after setting up the /etc/config/fstab with your USB as /overlay and then reboot the router

" Try to replace the 0904-backport-vanilla-eth-driver.patch with new version https://pastebin.com/raw/WYrJGw0e ... lots of unused code there"

I wonder if there are a definitive set of patches available at this time, for both IRQ balancing and the ethernet driver?

TIA.

Edit: I updated the entire post.

0904-backport-vanilla-eth-driver.patch
0905-increase-dma-descriptors.patch
0906-increase-dma-burst-size.patch

Then you need 3 more patches that relate to CPU stability / irq balancing.

Find these patches: Xrx200 IRQ balancing between VPEs

2 Likes

@ahmar16, I greatly appreciate your prompt assistance. Thank you.

It will be done, I would say after I will manage to reverse engineer command rings of one other driver on my modem :smiley: .

Great work. Just to report that the patches apply just fine to the current version of trunk :slight_smile:

I would like to point out a simple thing. If anyone uses the patches then please use iperf/iperf3 to test Wireless /Wired performance of your roiter and post the before and after results here. It will be really helpful to streamline the integration in OpenWrt.

Edit: @pc2005 Any progress on mainline integration?

I read this topic for several months and now I would like to test all this patchset on my main DSL router. TD-W8970v1. Sadly it lacks wave300 5GHz onboard. Where can i find precompiled image?
@pc2005 thank you for your work.

This topic does not relate with wave300 wifi. It is more related to CPU stability and Lan speed improvement.

Anyway you need the full source code to build firmware with these patches, otherwise you can not use them. I use this with my W8980 and HomeHub 5A and it's really good.

Also @pc2005 was working for integrating these patches into mainstream OpenWrt. I have no idea when will that happen and there's no info on any progress yet. If the integration is done then you'll just need to use the Snapshots in future to avail these benefits but for now you have to compile from source.

@ahmar16 Thank you for your explanations and also for your support and testing.
But as for me - due some circumstances i can not prepare buildtree based on current master to build image with this patches so i want to kindly ask you to build and share image for tdw8970 if you can.
Thank You in advance.

I'll see if I can build one for you. What packages do you want to use with the build? How much flash does your router have? Do you plan to use ExtRoot? What filesystem would you want to use for it?

That is stock TP-LINK TD-W8970 without any hw mods. With zram-swap, no extroot. Now it is running on my custom SMP enabled early LEDE build for years and is very stable.

root@TDW8970:~# uname -a
Linux TDW8970 4.4.32 #0 SMP Mon Nov 21 15:15:34 2016 mips GNU/Linux
root@TDW8970:~# free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:         59160      36092      23068       1276       3268       8172
-/+ buffers/cache:      24652      34508
Swap:        28668        152      28516
root@TDW8970:~# uptime
 21:04:10 up 29 days,  1:28,  load average: 0.00, 0.21, 0.16

So it will be very interesting to test @pc2005 patches on field for stability.
If you can, include please some extra packages: luci, luci-app-ddns, kmod-carl9170, kmod-usb-core, kmod-usb-dwc2, carl9170-firmware, iperf3.
Thank you.

I created the firmware before so I was not able to add carl9170 but everything else is there, but not included in the firmware itself. You can see for yourself: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au9VmMwLylkznvFOdS7kngv6yUQm2g

Firmware itself includes LuCI and minimal packages for USB support, there are more packages added but they are in different folders and you can install them afterwards.

1 Like