How can we enable UCI interface available on OpenWrt for ubuntu?

How can we enable UCI interface available on openwrt on ubuntu. Currently, I installed libuci and libubox, with which I am able to get and set configuration parameters for files under /etc/config in ubuntu. But these values are not reflected in system services when I do a service restart. For example I set some values in /etc/config/network and /etc/config/dhcp . But /etc/init.d/networking reload, the system is picking up values from /etc/dnsmasq.conf and /etc/network/interfaces.

Symbolically link the files used by ubuntu

Could you please tell how to achieve that. Because the format of config files used by conventional ubuntu and openwrt/uci are different. There are syntax differences in-between them. So, a straightforward symbolic linking is not working.

To be clear...are you attempting to install the UCI on an Ubuntu PC???

Yes...thats exactly what I am trying to do.

1 Like

You'll most likely need to re-write the init scripts for the services you want to be configurable thru uci.

Could you please give some details on how we need to redefine the init scripts for a service like networking, taking into consideration conventional ubuntu uses network manager while openwrt uses netifd.

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/base-system/uci#porting_uci_to_a_different_linux_distribution