How can I temporarily disable Wireguard without rebooting the router?

I've been following this guideline and this guideline and was able to successfully setup Wireguard on my OpenWrt 19.07.3 r11063-85e04e9f46. However now I'm facing a problem: how can I temporarily disable Wireguard without rebooting the router? Things I've tried so far:

1. Stopping the Wireguard network interface -> Internet stops working if I do so
  2. Removing Wireguard interface from WLAN -> same issue
  3. Checked out this thread on the OpenWRT forum which suggested using 0.0.0.0/1 and 128.0.0.0/1 as the Allowed IPs -> still not working after changing the setting and saving the interface configuration
  4. Tried disabling "Route allowed IPs" and saving -> still not working

My goal is to be able to switch between Wireguard and direct connection at any time without rebooting the router. Is this possible with Openwrt?

Have you changed back to using the dns servers from your ISP? I guess azire's dns servers can't be used if you don't use the vpn. If it doesn't work after applying the changes then try restarting the network in OpenWrt.

I'm using Google's 8.8.8.8 DNS.

If it doesn't work after applying the changes then try restarting the network in Openwrt2.

Could you clarify what this means?

In system->startup you can restart the network. Or run /etc/init.d/network restart in the shell.

This does work but takes a minute or so. Is there a faster to do this?