How can I confirm what runs on what?

Fine but that's not my question :).
I can't do it right now and need a way to keep this working for a while.

Ok, think we undestood... :roll_eyes:

So you want to know which device is supported on CC 15.05 (ar71xx and rampis) and is currently available on the market, right?

2 Likes

Thank you.
Correct. I need to run older hardware for a while longer so am looking for ar71xx and ramips mini routers that could run 15.05.1. The problem is, I don't know if that means all of those would run our the code or not.

All I know is that the TP-Link TL-WR703N and the gl.inet mt300n v1 work. Bonus would be findinga replacement that has one or two gigabit ports too.

Why not buy used hardware from ebay or something similar?
The TP-Link WDR3600 is supported on CC 15.05 and does also have gigabit ports...

Because I need a constant supply for a project and buying them used one here, one there is taking up all my time. I need to find something I can buy new as needed.

Wait, you need a "constant supply" of these? This is a commercial product/project where you're delivering firmware with known vulnerabilities?

Is this related to

and

which both appear to be Internet-connected use?

1 Like

Right, OP also said:

Seem like current to me.

If the software is pre-compiled, then it should work for the mips_24kc. Try installing 18.06 and see if you can run the binary. It might work (the C library might be your only issue).

Certainly sounds like it's doing a lot more than that.

Unless you can quickly and convincingly say what you are doing that requires an obsolete, insecure version of OpenWRT to run, I've got to conclude that it is a warez situation where you have illegal binaries compiled against that old version. I have no desire to support illegal activity and I would imagine that the forum has explicit rules against such activities.

Correct. I'm building and testing a network of cameras and am constantly having to hunt down used ones so would prefer to find a new replacement so I don't have to spend so much time hunting. I don't want to have to replace all the old cameras and just want to move forward with a new make/model that still runs my current setup/config.

I say I but there are a few of us messing around on this.

Please, your warez and/or commercial conclusion would be over the top as I'm not involved in anything of that nature at all. I would guess that most who are involved in those things have the technical skills to do what they need without having to post questions in public.

The routers are only being used as IP camera servers in and around my own property and a group of friends. No router functionality or anything else really, just an ssh port to change settings. It's a closed environment so I'm not concerned about security.

Anyhow, I'm not sure what you mean by using the mips_24kc. Does that simply mean that mips_24kc, version 18.06 is something that would run on my older routers?

Not so over the top given the evasive nature of your repeated lack of detail coupled with the fact that you've had a working build system up for some time now and could build from source your "special" code, if you had it.

So there clearly is a lot more "open" on these devices than a known-vulnerable version of dropbear. You may not be concerned about security, but you put your "group of friends" at risk, as well as everyone else on the Internet. Just for one, read

I told you those things aren't on the Internet. They are on a LAN and again, only have ssh enabled to restart them, change settings. etc.

I give up. If you want to accuse me of things that are not true, so be it, that it your choice. I've explained everything possible. If I was doing something nefarious, I simply would have left by now. There are probably plenty of 'dark' (for lack of better names) forums where people talk about hacking and other such activities. If that was what I was doing, there would be a ton of help in those forums.

You are caught in some paranoid idea at this point, something I am not even close to being or doing. Please don't bother responding anymore if you are going to label me this way. It is very unfair to me as I am not doing anything illegal or hacker like.

If you don't want to help me, fine, I'll post again or find new forums that are more welcoming and friendly.

PS: I do not know what this means.

BTW, centos now builds using the suggested version as well. No change to the OS what so ever.

An executable binary is compiled for a certain CPU and architecture. This is why you're seeking routers that match the CPU of your software. I suggested running a current version of the firmware and attempting to execute your software. That simple.

I think he had done this and got some errors as segfault... But as @lleachii mentioned, this will be only related to the newer c library on >= lede 17.01 (musl instead of uclibc).
So if you @JoshGrant compile your old software with the build systems sdk or the downloaded sdk, your software should also run on newer openwrt builds...

1 Like

I tried the latest openwrt on the v2 glinet which is readily available and that didn't work. I got an architecture error when trying to install my program. I tried lede on the older v1 but that lead to the same problem.

I think you are saying try the latest 18.06 on the newer router and see if things work. Nothing to lose, I can try that if I can find that as image generator.

Why do you have to build the image?
Is the flash in your router 4MB or less?

Your used ar71xx device and ramips device does have not exactly the same arch... ar71xx will be mips (big endian) and ramips will be mipsel (little endian)

So you have probably tried a mipsel binary on a mips arch or vice versa...

1 Like

I'll have to get back to this. I'm completely confused at this point and need to re-read everything so it makes some sense to me.

I do appreciate the input from everyone, thank you.

1 Like

What is the output from the command file on your binary?
(You need a linux system for that)

Example:

$ file memtester_mips
memtester_mips: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, MIPS, MIPS32 rel2 version 1 (SYSV), statically linked, stripped

I quickly ran what you said but not sure I'm doing it right since there are errors.

On the router;

file memtester_mips

-ash: file: not found

I then assumed you mean using the command against the package name but on a Centos machine?

file memtester_mips apache_inserts_ramips_24kec.ipk

memtester_mips: cannot open (No such file or directory)
apache_inserts_ramips_24kec.ipk: gzip compressed data, from Unix, last modified: Sun Oct 22 11:19:05 2017

Sorry forgot to mention that memtester_mips was only used as a example mips binary that i had on my pc...

You should do that on your binary that you want to get work...
Example: file fancy_webcam_prog