How about including NANO and dependency's as default?

So here's the deal. As most of you know the default text editor in OpenWRT is vi. vi works and works well, but if you are new to OpenWRT it can be a pain new users to OpenWRt or Linux in general to learn vi and have to remember all the cryptic commands. I know personally each time I have to use VI I have to refer to a guide all over again. I bet you it would help a lot of people out of the default editor was nano because it is intuitive enough to use without a how to and the commands crtl 0 and crtl x are written at the bottom so you can't forget! Most routers have way more flash then they will ever use any ways so why not include nano and its dependency's? you would not even have to remove vi, just add nano as an extra.
At the very least, this should be considered for hardware like the Raspberry Pi that does not have internet access as default because you are sort of forced to use vi in the beginning.
I'm not going to lie here vi is a great editor, it just is not very friendly to new users.

FWIW a number of alternative router firmwares are now including nano for this very reason, Merlins fork of Asus-WRT, Johns fork of Merlins fork of Asus-WRT as well as Fresh Tomato, and 1 or 2 others I can't remember all include nano in the default firmware.

1 Like

I support this request.

It doesn't take much in terms of googling to learn basic of vi. Guessing vi has less space requirements than nano does as well which is a factor for OW.

2 Likes

On MIPS that would be ~55KB for nano, ~150KB for libncurses, ~7KB for terminfo, that‘s over 200KB of additional storage requirements. Not acceptable imho for an optional editor, especially considering that there already is one.

Shipping nano on some targets and not on others will lead to inconsistent user experience, so far OpenWrt always avoided that.

7 Likes

It it also doesn't take much to type:

opkg update ; opkg install nano

2 Likes

mbo20,
as i said in the first post, At the very least, this should be considered for hardware like the Raspberry Pi that does not have internet access as default because you are sort of forced to use vi in the beginning.
(no internet access as default meaning opkg update ; opkg install nano literally does not work when you have no internet access because there is no wan port and the lan is set static at 192.168.1.1 , this can be a pain for newbs)
but i digress...

You don't need to use vi, just follow the instructions:

2 Likes

Or, if your Pi have wifi, set it up as a temp wireless client, to your current router, or even cell phone, with internet sharing enabled.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.