Housefull of wifi

Forum topics/threads:

Hello again,

Hope you all are well.

My today's query is; I'm planning to setup APs for a 1+2 floor house (ground + first & second). Here's the current setup:

Main fiber line connected to a multiplexer (I think that's what its called). That functions as a router. It has an in-built gpon device, 2 Gbit LAN ports, provides wi-fi, has 1 XFS port for an RJ11-landline. I also checked, it cant be flashed with an openwrt firmware. The model of the device is Optilink OP-GONT 90211VW.

Presently, it serves wi-fi to all the mobile devices and is connected to my main desktop for internet via an eth cat 5e cable. Due to its limited range and mobility, the wifi signals on the first and the floor are non-existent.

(If you need screencaps of the settings page/anything particular, do let me know).

I also have two additional routers/APs;
TP-LINK WR841NDv11
TP-LINK WR940NV6
both flashed with an older OWRT firmware. 18.2xx something. Both of those work just fine.
I plan to let those two communicate with the Optilink device. I'll setup one on the first floor and the other on the second, so that the entire house is wi-fi enabled.

I want to know how best to approach this scenario.

Thanks for your time! Have lovely day ahead.

I'e moved this to hardware questions since this is about specifying and building out a network, and you're almost certainly going to need to buy some hardware. The TP-Link devices that you have were low performance when they were made, and now they're really inadequate for anything faster than ADSL.

Which brings up the first question that needs to be asked: how fast is the ISP? Anyone with FTTH (Fiber To The House) should read this: So you have 500Mbps-1Gbps fiber and need a router READ THIS FIRST - #65 by dl12345 about the realities of what practical operation at speeds orders of magnitude higher than ADSL entails.

You are on the right path to install Ethernet cable through the house, this is the foundation of a high performance network. The cables should lead to a central place where you can install switches and routers-- A place which is central (to minimize cable length, which affects labor and material costs), but out of sight, with some space, an AC outlet, and the temperature is reasonably controlled. That place may not necessarily be in the basement next to the ONT(*).

If you intend to stay at this house for a few years go ahead and install cat6 cable instead of 5e, since speeds higher than Gb on Ethernet are about to become common in the consumer realm.

(*) Optical Network Terminal, the first box connected to an incoming fiber optic line, and almost always provided by a fiber ISP. Much like cable modems, these are always closed source and the firmware is controlled by the company since if the firmware doesn't work properly with regards to sending signals on the fiber, it can DoS the neighbors.

2 Likes

Hi mk24!

Thanks for your reply. For the things you mentioned:

and you're almost certainly going to need to buy some hardware. The TP-Link devices that you have were low performance when they were made, and now they're really inadequate for anything faster than ADSL.

Please let me know what would you suggest.

how fast is the ISP?

They provide a decent 60-150 Mbps line. Considering the locality I live in, its definitely what I can grab with very limited options. At the same time, higher the speeds, higher the tariff. At the moment, I do not plan to go higher than 100Mbps.

You are on the right path to install Ethernet cable through the house, this is the foundation of a high performance network.

Yes. For my main desktop, I intend to stay connected wired.
Its the wireless connectivity I am a bit concerned about. Would it be possible in any way for the routers (both flashed to O-WRT 18.02) to communicate wirelessly to the ONT (keeping aside the age factor of those devices)?
I'll eventually upgrade the network platform as I plan to stay in this house for a very long time.

Much like cable modems, these are always closed source and the firmware is controlled by the company since if the firmware doesn't work properly with regards to sending signals on the fiber, it can DoS the neighbors.

True, the closed firmware on this ONT doesnt offer much.
There are neighbors around. But not that tightly situated.
The DoS symptom you mentioned, is there any way to prevent it. The same would be applicable for me as well right? If someone decides to setup a similar config say, in the proximity of 10-15 meters from my house.

Conceptually, one would refer to ONT as merely a modem, a media converter (plus the logic necessary to demultiplex the individual customers for GPON), but not a (wireless-) router, nor any phone or TV appliance. All-in-one devices certainly exist here as well, but those would be routers with included fibre 'modem', not really an ONT.

Interfacing wirelessly with proprietary devices always comes with a share if problems, as WDS/ 4addr only works between nl80211 based drivers (~OpenWrt). The alternatives, relayd (buggy, not supporting IPv6 at all) and a routed client setup are better best avoided.

1 Like

I was just saying that since GPON works by having the optical signal passively split to a group of customers (which could be in the same apartment house, or miles apart) an ONT going haywire can interfere with their service.

Connecting anything wirelessly to that particular ONT seems an iffy proposition (low performance and basement location), so it would be good to move toward disabling the ONT wifi and using only wired to it.

Most importantly, to configure it to bridge mode (might need to be auto-provisioned that way by your ISP), so that your (OpenWrt-) router gets to terminate your public IP - avoiding double-NAT (or triple-NAT in case of DS-Lite) situations.

--
Getting wireless out of your all-in-one device usually (always) implies being configured for router mode, not bridge mode.

1 Like

Thanks once again mk24 and to you as well slh

I've noted your inputs and will certainly keep these things in mind to get the proper configuration that I need.

You guys have been always helpful. Take care everyone!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.