HooToo HT-TM05, Recognize HW

Hi,

I'm using this little battery powered router (awesome on a plane, with OpenWrt installed!) - using the build for a GL-MT300N (same ramips/mt7620 SoC). But the flash on the two routers is a bit different, and it would be handy to have this device properly recognized. Any pointers on where the code is for this?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Get the GPL Corresponding Source, or determine the "right" flash partitioning (as well as how they read the battery voltage) from the running, OEM firmware, then https://openwrt.org/faq/how_can_i_add_support_for_a_new_device

Perfect - will dig into this. Thanks for the pointer (new to adding HW to OpenWrt).

Much appreciated!

1 Like

Arrgh - they are balking at providing the GPL source. Not giving up though - pushing back! ... :smile:

Hi,

They are promising to send me the info this coming week, but in the meantime I have been building GL-MT300N code - and it's working fine (I know, only sort of close ... LOL). But ... v18.06 is fine, as is v19.07 -> not master though! It hangs, doesn't boot to OpenWrt. Has anyone else seen / tried this? Any thoughts what the issue is? I admit, wondering about this commit (vs. the HT-TM05),
https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commit;h=556ff0987539271647535094309605433f2aa96f

Thanks!

Unlikely that commit. It changes how the keys (switches, buttons) are read in a minor way.

Agreed, was thinking the same thing, but also struggling to see differences between 19.07 and master (for these key ramips files).

Thanks!

BTW, perhaps a dumb question, but why "model" the HT-TM05 after the GL-MT300N, vs. the RavPower RP-WD03 (which seems almost identical to the HT-TM05)?

Thanks.

• An airplane?
  • I'm curious, how do you arrange for permission from the pilot to operate it?
  • In what configuration are you using it (e.g. a wireless bridge)?

No, no access to flight controls ... :smile:. I mean if purchasing the Wi-Fi service ... this works great, provides router functionality (security for my devices!). And it's easy with a battery powered device, no need to have any cables connected (which is great on an airplane, limited room in those seats).

1 Like

Correct - that's not allowed under any circumstance anyways - my worry was you were setting up an Access Point.

So I guess that does mean a Wireless to Wired bridge setup. Since a lot of newer laptops don't have Ethernet ports, I wasn't sure.

I'll be the "bad guy" here. Even when purchasing the wireless service aboard a commercial flight, you technically aren't permitted to operate an AP, open or closed, for your own devices or not.

2 Likes

Yes, understood - no worries. Airport is a similar use case - and in either case, LAN side can be wired (ethernet).

To me, having the router (security) is the key. I have had friends (airport and airplane) get hacked in to. Not cool.

But we digress ... LOL. Trying to get the info so we can add this HW.

Thanks!

2 Likes

A good question :wink:

If you believe the RP-WD03 to be closer to your device in hand, that would be the one I'd use. Certainly, looking at other DTS files can provide insight if you find something not working quite right.

That makes complete sense. What's odd is that when I try to load the RP-WD03 firmware on my HT-TM05, I get this error message,
The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. Make sure that you choose the generic image format for your platform. Select 'Force upgrade' to flash the image even if the image format check fails. Use only if you are sure that the firmware is correct and meant for your device!

But I did a compare of the stock flash layout for both - it's below (and identical). So not understanding the error message ... :frowning:

And it's the same ramips device. Hmmm. The only thing is I see a note of SD under one flash, not the other (may just be missing) ... but the OEM bootlogs show the same SPI flash device (same ID even). Thoughts?

Thanks!

Not surprising, as there is a check of the image metadata on most, current platforms and it doesn't match across devices.

From target/linux/ramips/base-files/lib/upgrade/platform.sh

REQUIRE_IMAGE_METADATA=1

confirms the "ramips" target's sysupgrade checks the metadata. See further package/base-files/files/lib/upgrade/fwtool.sh

That makes sense ... and I'll check, thanks! I admit, considering two options then,

1. Change REQUIRE_IMAGE_METADATA to 0. Most likely works, but may not. Worst case I can re-flash from recovery (so not a show stopper).
  2. Create a new device, starting from the RP-WD03. I admit, I need to figure out what all files to change to do this.

Thanks again! And any pointers you have on #2 would be appreciated. I realize that much (all?) of what I need to do this is in the OEM bootlog, which is already available.

No DO NOT REMOVE THAT!!

Best plan is to build/test initramfs images.

If you really think it is compatible, you can “force” the flash from the command line. Myself, I wouldn’t do that until I had initramfs images working well for the specific device.

1 Like

That makes sense - will follow your guidance. Thanks!

You'll need to at least:

• Create a new DTS for the device
  • Add the device to the proper image.mk
  • Check through the various files under base-files and add appropriate entries

Be aware that there is a pending PR to split the contents of ramips' base-files by subtarget. It should be pretty straightforward to rebase your additions when that is accepted.

1 Like