HooToo HT-TM01 - How to flash Stock Firmware?

Okay! Seems like kmod-mtd-rw, then unlock and then a write ot mtd1 to u-boot worked and I was able to boot with a new bootloader now! Looking in Wireshark now it does ask for "Who has 10.10.10.254?" so it looks promising :smiley:

Now... Do I have to just flash kernel since mtd8 is already included there or do I still have to rename mtd8 to rootfs and flash that too?

Original u-boot searches for kernel and rootfs.

This could then be used as an backup to create an images to get back to the OEM firmware:

copy /b mtd4.bin+mtd5.bin+mtd6.bin+mtd7.bin kernel
copy mtd8.bin rootfs

Source: https://openwrt.org/toh/ravpower/ravpower_rp-wd03#execute_script_with_oem_firmware

1 Like

I think this is looking promising!!!

1 Like

YUP! Damn! I never thought I'd see this device work again, awesome!

Thanks so much for your help man! After many, MANY years of not being able to use that thing anymore it finally comes back to life as it's supposed to be :slight_smile: I'll definitely put the stuff we talked about here in my blog for other people to easily find and being able to follow it too in case theirs is/was also as screwed up as mine!

TripMate-0E58 ... very interesting. :thinking:
This is my device's MAC.
Please try factory reset on your device! Hold reset for a long time (30s? 1min?) while the TripMate is powered on.

:+1:
It was easy, wasn't it?

• get OEM u-boot binary
  • flash it with the help of kmod-mtd-rw and write
  • set up a TFTP recovery environment
  • get kernel and rootfs
    • from someone else's backup
    • extract from stock firmware upgrade file (with nice tools)

But don't forget to note how important that backup directory is! :wink:

And create a new for yourself with EnterRouterMode.sh (saved at pendrive's root directory) below:

EnterRouterMode.sh

#!/bin/sh
SDCARD=/data/UsbDisk1/Volume1/
USB=/data/UsbDisk2/Volume1/

FWCFPT="/proc/vstinfo"
FWFIRMWARE="/etc/firmware"
FWINFO=
if [ -r $FWFIRMWARE ]; then
	FWINFO=$FWFIRMWARE
elif [ -r $FWCFPT ]; then
	FWINFO=$FWCFPT
fi

readfwinfo() {
	grep $1 $FWINFO | cut -d= -f2
}

WORKDIR=`find /data -name EnterRouterMode.sh`/..
cd ${WORKDIR}

CURFILE=`readfwinfo CURFILE`
CURVER=`readfwinfo CURVER`
VENDOR=`readfwinfo VENDOR`
PRODUCTLINE=`readfwinfo PRODUCTLINE`
MTD_SN=`get_mtd_sn`

FWBACKUPPREFIX=fw-${PRODUCTLINE}-${VENDOR}-${CURFILE}-${CURVER}-${MTD_SN}
mkdir -p backup-${FWBACKUPPREFIX}
cd backup-${FWBACKUPPREFIX}

if ! (md5sum -s -c mtd.md5sum); then
	for mtd in `grep  ^mtd /proc/mtd | cut -d: -f1`; do
		dd if=/dev/$mtd of=$mtd.bin
	done
	sync
	cp $FWINFO fwinfo.txt
	echo $FWINFO > fwinfo-filename.txt
	cp /proc/mtd mtd.txt
	md5sum mtd*.bin *.txt > mtd.md5sum
	dmesg > dmesg.txt
	ip a > ip_a.txt
	env > env.txt
	get_mtd_sn > mtd_sn.txt
	cat > readme.txt <<EOM
This directory contains a backup from your $VENDOR device.

Put it to a safe place!

EOM
fi
cd ..

# nvram_get > $SDCARD/nvram_get.txt
# nvram_get rt2860_nvram_show >> $SDCARD/nvram_get.txt
# nvram_get show >> $SDCARD/nvram_get.txt
# nvram_get chkcrc >> $SDCARD/nvram_get.txt
# nvram_get gen > $SDCARD/nvram_get_gen.txt

/etc/init.d/teld.sh restart
1 Like

(@EpicLPer, you responded in the wrong thread! :wink: )

Thanks for testing!

I know heh :smiley: But yeah I'll try that later on.

@xabolcs , Thanks for providing all of the files and information. I have the exact problem you guys were talking about. If the offer still stands, could you make that custom sysupgrade.bin? It's a bit over my head.

Hello @hashcraft95!

Using an official 19.07.x release is easier than a random custom build from a random community member.

Just

• sysupgrade to latest 19.07 (e.g. openwrt-19.07.4-ramips-rt305x-ht-tm02-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin),
  • install kmod-mtd-rw
  • insmod it: insmod mtd-rw i_want_a_brick=1

And you are there: with writable partitions.

Instead that custom sysupgrade I could provide a script later, which would flash the original Bootloader back to the device.

1 Like

Insmod was my missing link, I got it up and running stock. Thanks so much!

1 Like

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.

Problem is that this would close the topic in a few days which I don’t want in case people have problems and wanna ask things :wink:

I prefer marking this as solved too ... but before that, it would be nice to:

• create a minimal HooToo HT-TM01 device page on Wiki - independently from that HT-TM02
    • document the steps of this "Revert to Stock, but from wingspinner's build"
    • link this topic for the details
  • create a new backup archive:
    • readme.txt - with the steps
    • Bootloader.bin, Kernel_RootFS.bin, params.bin, Rootfs.bin
    • answer your wingspinner issue #21: where/how to edit that params.bin
  • put the new backup archive to archive.org (like TL-WR1043ND v4 EEPROM dump)

Yep that’s why I’m holding off for now :slight_smile: Until everything’s set up so others can easily follow along in case theirs is screwed up too.
I guess there’s no way to supply a sysupgrade image for people already on a working OpenWrt to easily revert? And then additional steps for people who screwed their install up beyond repair :slight_smile:

Feel free to add usefull information about this device.

1 Like

I tried upgrading the firmware of my HooToo Tripmate Nano (HT-TM02) but failed, now the device's blue LED keep on blinking and I am not able to see the WIFI network, device became unusable, I have tried to reset by inserting the pin but it seems not to be working.

Can anybody help me to get my HT-TM-02 back to life

HT-TM02 had to switch to source-only, exactly of the same error.

Your last hope is the 19.07 release.

Thanks for creating the new openWRT page for the HooToo TM01. I'm happy to add instructions there, but please confirm what is the recommended installation procedure for a factory-new TM01:

• install the OpenWrt 19.07 "Install" firmware linked there straight from the stock menu?
  • install wingspinner's TM02 image (using an empty USB stick), and then sysupgrade to 19.07?
  • or simply install the official release recommended on the generic openWRT page for TM01–04?

Hi @ubr :wave: !

Well, it's a little bit complicated. Let me explain.

Sadly the current support isn't as good as it could (should? :thinking:) be:

• it overwrites device specific parts of the device: the params partition
  • it changes the way of the TFTP recovery
    • it listens on another address
    • it uses different filename
    • it uses one file instead of separate kernel and rootfs files
  • it creates a full backup to the usb drive where from the user installed, but
  • the user doesn't know about it, and wouldn't put it to a safe place

Because of the above I won't recommend the current way of installation. :confused:

I did my experiments (thanks @jwmullally for the initial work) about creating a safer device support which uses only the 1536 k Kernel_RootFS for kernel, and the 6144 k ​Rootfs partition for rootfs.
It's safe to use, and compatible with the official releases (currently 19.07.7).
(It's not finished yet, in terms of documentation :sweat_smile:)

But it's still a community build from a random guy from the Forum. :upside_down_face: So I couldn't recommend this too! :grinning:

Hi xabolcs, thanks four your quick response!

So what's the best way forward, given the situation?

• happy to install your random-guy community build. I'd trust you :slightly_smiling_face: And I'd happily contribute to user-friendly documentation :sunglasses:
  • also fine to keep a USB stick in a safe place. Actually, if I get to install OpenWRT once on my TM01, I assume I'll be fine. I will run shairport-sync and that's it. If needed, I could live without OpenWRT updates etc.
  • it would be nice to be assured that with OpenWRT, the TM01's internal battery can still power the device. E.g. so that my TM01 can run for a while without external power attached, and re-charge later again when external power is available.
  • And in turn, ideally, that the battery could run in a way that the TM01 can still charge other devices if needed.