Home Office and Gamer coexisting under COVID

He wants to segment all the "kids devices" into one network, and throttle that whole network

1 Like

I had a home office on a 50/10 connection with a crazy gamer: a properly tuned SQM is all that was needed. Everyone had access to all bandwidth when it was available.

Static IP leases for a group of devices will put them into a smaller than /24 subnet and then throttle that subnet?

Yes, in particular the SQM package isn't really designed for having different "channels" (though using "tc" and the HFSC qdisc you could do this, but I think it's substantially more pain than just segmenting into different VLANs)

Once you've got different VLANs, you just put SQM on the "kids" VLAN and alter the bandwidth at different times with cron.

1 Like

Read the thread, he doesn't want to mitigate bufferbloat/interference, he wants to create a policy that throttles his kids so they don't find the internet so attractive.

SQM doesn't do throttling subnets, it throttles entire devices.

I did not think that SQM was not about throttling, but I think I saw somewhere that iptables can be used to limit traffic.

hmm... maybe...? But its definitely not as flexible as segmenting the kids devices into their own network.

Here's a quick sketch of what I'm thinking (click through to see the full thing)

Google Photos

Ideally you'd make the RPi just use tags on its ethernet so you can avoid buying a smart switch to convert its powerline device to untagged.

Are your poweline adapters pairs or a set of three or more? I mean each client ends up being connected to your OpenWrt router? Or they share one port?

As far as the devices connected to your Tomaro device, that alerts VLANs I think, so you should be fine. You could use the BTHH5A bit flashing it isn't an easy matter.

There is no need to over complicate this. Read this page under:
Making cake sing and dance, on a tight rope without a safety net (aka advanced features)
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/traffic-shaping/sqm-details

If you dont want to do that you could flash your router with Gargoyle.
https://www.gargoyle-router.com/index.php
Gargoyle is built ontop of OpenWrt and can do all the things you want.

1 Like

Thanks mhegab - I have four powelines - they all connect together using the mains as the network backbone - two have two RJ45's...

Ok - so two questions here:

1. How would I tag the traffic? Are we talking VLAN settings?
  2. How would the openWRT selectively "throttle"?

I guess this is where my hard graft starts...

using the switch settings you tell the switch to use tags on the port that's connected to your powerlines. You do this on both ends, the router, and the AP.

as for throttling, when you use a VLAN you get a new virtual ethernet interface such as eth0.1 and eth0.3 for "tagged packets on eth0 with tag 1, or tag 3"

then you put an SQM instance on eth0.3 which is your kids vlan and you set the allowed bandwidth to the throttled amount. You can update it using a tc change command to change the bandwidth at different times using cron.

1 Like

I know everyone is trying to use advanced techniques here but IMO SQM is all OP needs with a kids network and then if OP wants to forward traffic between the kids and LAN then it can be enabled so clients see each other. The simple thing would be to use two SQM instances, one for WAN as a whole and one for kids and then maybe use cron to alter the kids SQM instance for alternative speeds.

luci-app-nft-qos

1 Like

@ahmar16, that's exactly what we're talking about actually. first create the "kids network" which is a separate VLAN, and then put SQM on it to throttle.

1 Like

I understand that OP doesn't want to have a different network and that complicates things. Although forwarding traffic between the two networks can solve this.

No, it's @fantom-x that thinks the OP shouldn't have a separate VLAN for the kids... the OP seems to be on board.

1 Like

Is it possible that that was because no simpler option was offered? I did not see the requirement to separate the networks, only to throttle the kids. This is not a security issue, but a bandwidth management (parenting) one. VLAN's is one of the solutions. I will shut up if OP says I am wrong.

it's not totally clear to me that switching away from SQM and to nft-qos and setting up separate speeds for different machines, and losing the bufferbloat management of SQM and having to change the nft-qos settings on a schedule... is "simpler" but if the OP prefers not to do a VLAN and to switch away from SQM... and you know how to instruct him... then go for it.