I am looking for advice on the topology of a home network.
- A. Small cable box: 1 ISP WAN wire leading in + 4 Gigabit LAN wires leading out. Enough space for a wired device without antennas. Intend to place here wired OpenWrt device (preferably with 4 ethernet LAN ports), offering firewall, DHCP, AGH DNS for the whole network. Perhaps split VPN for some of the VLANs.
- B. 1st LAN wire connected to dumb AP with original firmware for reliable Wifi (Linksys WRT1900ACS). Intend to use it for 2 VLANs, VLAN 1 and VLAN2 (corresponding to 5 GHZ and2.4 GHz SSIDs).
- C. 2nd LAN wire connected to most of the wired devices in the network (VLAN 1: PCs, printers, NAS; VLAN 3: TV).
- D. 3rd LAN wire connected yet to another isolated LAN (VLAN 4).
- E. 4th LAN wire – I don’t care (now).
- For B: Is this possible?
- For C: Will I need a switch at this node? Under OpenWrt or under the original firmware?
- To understand the roadmap: What major settings will I need to change on OpenWrt device to set this topology up?
- Is it possible to use dumb AP in B also to be switch for the wired devices in C?
- If I would like to access some devices in the network from outside – what needs to be changed?
- What might be changed for improved security?
Thanks a lot! Will really appreciate your advice.