I'm a newbie to openwrt world and looking to build a home mesh. I wanted to list my design goals to see if I'm on the right path:
- Wired 1Gbps egress to my internet router
- Granular Firewall and Flow Monitoring w/o sacrificing too much speed
- Mesh network of nodes (wired or wireless back haul) throughout the house
- Multiple SSID - Perhaps I can use the old devices to hang off the new ?
- VPN or Wireguard for specific AP clients (or SSID)
I'm thinking of using:
- GL-B1300 for each floor, reflashed to a newer openwrt for primary devices
- old nodes or rpi4 running openwrt for IOT
I had also considered a Fortigate 60-series on the north side of a cheaper end, but if OpenWRT can do the trick that'd be grand.