Hiring to maintain a fork of OpenWrt for 4/32 devices

I agree with the LEDE devs: OpenWRT should support commodity routers. One big advantage of the LEDE/OpenWRT project is that it allows me to take cheap commodity hardware and get enterprise-grade reliability and features. This router is probably the most popular router in the world. The factory firmware supports a IPv6 and a Web UI and even has a really cool mobile app. I can't think of a technical reason OpenWRT can't support it. OpenWRT's reluctance to support 4/32 seems to be coming from a place of economic privilege. The majority of the world's population lives in Asia, Africa, and South America and buying a better router isn't an option. Millions of people got their 4/32 routers from their ISPs.

3 Likes

We are hiring to maintain a fork of OpenWRT that supports 4/32 devices. Apply here:

The issues with running on 4/32 devices are not imaginary... they are outlined in detail here https://openwrt.org/supported_devices/openwrt_on_432_devices

Even if you can squeeze everything needed into 4mb of flash, will you still have enough space left to maintain config settings, or ram to run everything?

3 Likes

Shure. Doing this for simple hotspots, for example. Including coova-chilli, which needs quite some RAM during startup. The openwrt-emphasis on >4/32 devices I consider a bit "elitaer". Or deficiency of know-how.

I imagine all that would be needed is to maintain LEDE 17.01 and update kernels.

already started some work independent from the job :slight_smile:

Mmmh, something seems up with that link:

":frowning:
Access Denied
while trying to load /t/id_for/testing-lede-17-01-security-backports-for-432-devices
Something went wrong."

link fixed :slight_smile: - thanks for the heads up

1 Like